twenty one | imperfect

It's been two days since my therapy session and I have yet to contact my friends. I know I want to, but I don't know if they want me to anymore. And that's a scary thought.

I have the day off from chemo and intend to play as much music as I can. Chemo is draining and I know by next week I might not have much energy to play anymore.

With that in mind I head to my piano and begin teaching myself Perfect by Hedley. I know Zach will either call or come over soon so I intend to learn as much as I can without any distractions. Not that Zach is a bad distraction, but he's presence is overwhelming and demands my attention even if he doesn't mean for it to happen.

My parents are both at work, leaving Dyl and I alone. But I encouraged (maybe forced) him to get out of the house and hang out with his friends, so he better be leaving soon.

I take a seat on my piano bench and pull my beanie on tighter. I place my music sheets on the stand and let the music pour out of me, and soon enough I can sing along to the music.

I know that I'm not perfect but I keep trying
'Cause that's what I said I would do from the start.
I'm not alive if I'm lonely,
So please don't leave.
Was it something I said or just my personality?

When you're caught in a lie,
And you've got nothing to hide,
When you've got nowhere to run,
And you've got nothing inside.

It tears right through me,
You thought that you knew me,

I am just about to finish singing through the song for the third time when I feel a presence in my music room. Assuming it's Dylan I continue on without missing a beat. Once I finish the song I expect to see Dylan's sad eyes, which makes me close my own.

I hate to see him so upset every time I sing, and I know my song choices aren't the most upbeat, but I sing what I feel. I take a deep breath to prepare myself to open my eyes when an unexpected voice cuts through.

"Leena?" Zaina's voice whimpers. I stiffen in response and close my eyes tighter, knowing she never comes over without Noah and Daniel.

"What?" Daniel confusedly mumbles, not doubt to Noah. "I don't understand." He continues.

"Leena, what the hell is going on?" Noah asks, bringing a small smile to my face. He always did get straight to the point.

I still haven't opened my eyes and I still haven't looked up. I don't know what to prepare myself for, and I can't take the look that is no doubt on all of their faces right now. What the hell are they doing here? Did Dylan plan this? If he thought blindsiding me like this was helping me he's sadly mistaken and is in for the ass kicking of his life.

"What are you guys doing!?" Dylan harshly asks. By his tone I can tell that they're not supposed to be up here which makes me feel a bit better. I should have known Dylan would never push me like this, hell he hates when my therapist does her job of pushing me just the right amount.

"What are we doing? Why is Leena bald?" Daniel asks, not holding back on his curiosity. However, I can't help but want to pull my beanie on tighter.

"Shut the fuck up, man!" Dylan growls out and I have no doubt he's about to assault Daniel in some way. This should give me the kick in the ass I need to get up and do something, but I can't. I'm frozen in place and I'm afraid that if I move everything is going to fall apart more so than it already has.

"What the fuck? Why are all of these people here?" Zach's voice cuts through and interrupts whatever Dylan was about to do. More people here is probably the last thing needed right now. Although, Zach's presence washes over me in its intense waves as it usually does and I can't help but relax a bit.