Bunny

"Ally?"

"Yes, Hunter?"

"What's your favorite color?"

"Um... blue. What's yours?"

"Blue too!"

"Well look at that. We have something in common."

"Yeah..." Hunter nodded, gripping the end of the table. He looked back up at me, his large eyes glistening. "What's your favorite animal?"

"I like dogs. Dogs are cool."

My answer makes Carl chuckle, watching us with a smile on his face.

"I like dogs too. But my favorite is dinosaurs." Hunter answers.

I nod. "Dinosaurs are cool, too."

"Carl?" Hunter looks back at Carl, swinging his legs back and forth underneath the table. "What's your favorite animal?"

"Well..." Carl hesitates, thinking it over. "I think dinosaurs top all the other animals." He says, just for Hunter's satisfactory.

"Yeah!" Hunter cheers. "They're so cool."

Carl grins at me and I shake my head, a blush creeping onto my cheeks. "You two and your distinct animals."

Just then Rick and Michonne walk into the kitchen where Carl, Hunter, and I sat at the kitchen, putting together an old puzzle we found in the closet.

"Hey." Carl greets them as they walk in.

"What's the word, Leader Rick?" I ask, looking up at the two. We've been sheltered in this house for about three days, and Rick thinks it's time to move on.

Rick smiles, shaking his head. Michonne sits down across from me, studying the yet unfinished puzzle before us. "We're leaving tomorrow morning." He says. "Pack tonight."

I nod, as does Carl. There is a few moments of silence where we are all in our own thoughts. "Damn... This is hard." Michonne comments, concentrating quite hard on the puzzle, which makes us all laugh.

That night, I stayed in Hunter's bed and didn't switch over to Carl's. "Do you have everything?" I asked Hunter as he put his bag by the door and crawled into bed.

He nodded, gazing up at me. "I triple checked."

I grinned at him, nodding. "Good job." Even though later that night, when he fell asleep, I did check his bag again just to make sure, and everything was there. And that was my first mistake...

As I was zipping Hunter's bag closed, he woke up from a nightmare, gasping, tears and sweat running down his face. I quickly turned my head to look at him, jumping ever so slightly. He quickly turned to my side of the bed and noticed I wasn't there.

And that's where it all went wrong.

Hunter screamed, beginning to ball his eyes out. "ALLY?!"

As I jumped to my feet, Carl wakes up, very startled. I run to Hunter and once he sees it's me, he holds his arms out to me. I wrap my arms around him and squeeze him against my chest. He holds me so tight, it almost hurts.
Carl springs from his bed, running to ours. "Are you okay?!" He whispers yells.

I look up at his bright concerned blue eyes and nod. "Yeah..."

Carl takes a deep breath he was currently holding and nodded. "Thank god." He whispers back, wrapping his arms around the both of us.

I feel Hunter crying against me, his shoulders shaking up at down, tears staining my shirt, but I don't care. Just then, the door bursts open, making all three of us jump. Hunter cries harder, gripping onto me even tighter, which I didn't think was possible.

Michonne and Rick stand in the front of the room, weapons pointing at us. "What happened?!" Rick hisses, not bothering to keep his voice down.

"Nothing." Carl answers calmly. "We're okay." He rests his hand on my back, and I place my chin on Hunters head.

Both Rick and Michonne exchange a glance before dropping their weapons back down to their sides. "Hunter had a nightmare." I tell them.

Rick, who finally understands, nods, looking back at Michonne, who also nods. After everyone went back to bed, and Hunter stopped crying, I laid down next to him, holding him close.

"Do you want to talk about your nightmare?" I ask him in a whisper.

He shakes his head, wiping his eyes. "I can't sleep, Ally."

I sigh, holding him tighter. And then, like in the cartoons, a lightbulb goes off in my head and I've got an idea. "Hey, Hunt?" I sit up and he does too.

"Yeah?" His eyes are swollen and red from crying, and his voice is soft and shaky.

"Wait here? I'm just going across the room to grab something. Carl will be right there." I point to Carl in his bed and he waves at us, and I knew he wasn't asleep.

Hunter looks back at Carl before finding my eyes again. And then he nods. "Okay."

I nod back, slowly getting off the bed and tiptoeing to my bag, where I reach in and grab Bunny. Jamie's bunny. I take it out and hold it in my hand, staring down at it. And for once, considering our circumstances, he doesn't look too bad for the zombie apocalypse.

No, I'm not replacing Jamie. No one can replace Jamie. There will always be a hole in my heart back from the day she died. I'm just letting Hunter borrow Bunny, so he can sleep. I shuffle back over to Hunter in bed, who was watching me closely the whole entire time.

I crawl back under the covers and hold Bunny out in my hand for Hunt to see. "Hunter, this is Bunny. He was my sister's favorite stuffed animal. Maybe he can help you sleep. He helped my sister, Jamie, fall asleep all the time."

Hunter looks up at me, eyes watering. "Won't she be mad at me?"

"Jamie? For what?"

"Taking her bunny."

I shake my head. "She would've wanted someone to take care of Bunny. As of right now, he's always stuffed in my bag." I smile at him.

Hunter smiles back and nods. "Okay. I can take care of Bunny for Jamie. I promise."

I nod, rubbing his back. "I know you can."

He lays back down, Hunter clutching Bunny, me clutching him, and soon he falls asleep, snoring and all. "Ally?" I hear Carl whisper.

"Yeah?" I whisper back without looking at him.

"Good night... supergirl."

"Good night, cowboy." And I fell asleep with a smile on my face for first time in a long time.