Part 15(End)

Characters: reader, Steve, Grant (OC), Natasha, & surprise guests. ;)

Summary: Almost three years have passed since that unforgettable night you spent with a mysterious man in a snowy cabin. Now, due to unforeseen circumstances, you find yourself on the run with your little family. How these new changes and Steve's uncertain plans dictate a future together? [Canon, events take place shortly after CACW]

Warnings: Mostly all fluff, I think!

Word Count: 2.9k

Song Inspiration: The Night We Met by Lord Huron

A/N: This is it, you guys! The end. For now. There's the possibility that we'll see these characters again in the future, but I felt a strong need to finish this story before Infinity War (which I'm seeing tonight. Eep!) . I have so loved writing these characters. They've been my constant companions for months and it'll be hard to let them go. It's time for a little rest, though, before I move on to unfinished projects and possibly something new. Thank you to everyone who has come on this journey with me! Your support and encouragement has urged me on and made all the late nights worth it. I adore you all. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you. <3

___________________________________

Previously:

Natasha chewed on her bright painted lip for a moment, thinking. "You're sure about this?" she finally asked, addressing Steve only.

Steve nodded as he put his free arm around your waist. "This is my family and I'll do anything to protect them," he spoke resolutely while Natasha eyed the three of you.

She finally let out a deep sigh of resignation. "Okay. I might be able to help you out, but we don't have much time...."

_______________

Some time later, undisclosed location

One hand on the steering wheel, you let your other arm dangle out the window of the old pickup truck you were driving with a fresh mountain breeze swirling around you. Glancing down at the map on the passenger's seat, it looked like you still had about 5 miles left to go. These drives were always a little stressful, but once you left civilization behind, it was just you and the road ahead, closing the distance until you saw your sweet family again.

Steve had a hard time each time you left, giving you the tightest hug possible, an encouraging smile and a kiss for the road. Heartfelt "I love you"s were shared in parting before waving with a smile as you drove away. You never missed the worry in his eyes, though. Your trips were few and far between, trying to keep supply runs down to once or twice a month, but it was necessary. Your routine would most likely be disrupted in the near future, so your supplies load was heavier this time. Luckily, kind strangers were willing to help you load up the truck for you.

A few more minutes of driving and you curved the truck around the bend to see the nearly-hidden dirt road up ahead. You slowed down to turn and squeezed the truck between two trees that camouflaged the entrance before winding your way another half mile until the trees thinned and the road opened up to a grassy clearing. A small cabin was tucked away on the far left side of the clearing and as you approached you spotted Steve with Grant, both waving enthusiastically.

The second you put the truck in park, Steve opened the door for you and he wrapped his arms around you in a tight hug followed by a lingering kiss. Grant wrapped his arms your leg and buried his face in your skirt.

"Hi, my handsome boy. Were you good for daddy?" you asked, ruffled your son's hair as he tilted his face upwards.

"Yeah! I cut logs!" Grant beamed at his dad, who laughed.