Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

It was strange to wake up and realize I have nobody. That Vanessa was what I had thought to be my best friend yesterday, only to walk the halls of Trinity and not even get a hello from her today.  

I stood at my locker and took my books out. I had cried for so long last night that today I felt empty, all my emotions felt like they had been sucked out of me. Maybe that was a good thing.

I slammed my locker door shut so loud a few students walking by jumped. I didn't care. They all thought I was crazy. That crazy girl who is here because of charity. That crazy girl who slapped Ezra Scott and got away with it. That crazy girl who kissed Ezra at the biggest party of the year. That crazy girl who Ezra fell in love with.

That crazy girl who doesn't love Ezra back.

I walked into the classroom and sat at my desk. Seeing as there was still a bit of time before it started, I pulled out my phone and sighed. My father had texted me a total of nine times yesterday, and I haven't bothered to read one.

I opened the first message and forced myself to read it.

"Hey kiddo. I know you're busy with school, but when you get the chance, I need you to call me. It's important."

"Your mother has been asking about you, by the way. She misses you (I miss you more, though)."

"Sweetheart, I called you, but you didn't pick up. Your schedule says you should be out of class by now, is your phone broken?"

"Is everything okay? Olivia?"

"Your mother told me to just tell you the news. I had wanted to wait and tell you on the phone, but I guess there's no point. I lost my jobs today, yes, that's right, jobs, plural, with an 's'. I didn't want to tell you because I know you need to focus on your schoolwork. It's still important that you know, we're family after all, right? Work hard, don't party, and stop kissing rich men at parties! That's right, I saw the photo! You made headlines, it was bittersweet to see you in my newsfeed. When you get these messages, I want you to call me, okay?"

"Hey sweetheart, it's dad again, just wanted to tell you your mother lost her job this morning. Something isn't right here, but I don't want you worrying about it. We might have to move in with your grandparents for a little while. I bet you're happy to have your own dorm! Call me!"

"I love you, Olivia. Hope you're having fun at Trinity!"

"p.s. you aren't kissing anymore Scotts, right?"

"p.p.s. your mother said she loves you, (but I still love you more)."

I had thought every ounce of tears within me had left last night. I was wrong. Reading these texts, I was sobbing at my desk. I could feel the eyes of the students around me, but it didn't matter. My parents were suffering, and it was all my fault. All his fault.

I looked up and saw Ezra walking through the door. The room became red at the sight of him. I wanted to hurt him. I wanted to hurt him like he had hurt me and my family. I stood, tears still streaming down my face as I caught his gaze.

"How dare you." I shouted for the entire room to hear. Let them hear.

His eyes widened in surprise, but he didn't say anything as I neared him. "How dare you bring my family into this." I put both my hands on his chest and shoved him, which wasn't much since he was a lot taller than me. He barely even moved and inch. "You don't do that. You don't make them suffer for the things I've done. You just don't."