Chapter Thirty Five

The past weeks were uneventful and Chen Mu have not showed up even once.

There were no news of him nor did he send me letter of his whereabouts. I was even tempted to write my father and inquire whether he knows whether my missing husband was still alive.

The Chen Manor ran smoothly thanks to Housekeeper Nu who made sure that everything was under control. He once came to my chambers to pass me the ledger but I refused. Besides not having knowledge about handling the manor's finances, I was too lazy to do anything.

Summer had started to take over and the sudden rise of temperature was unbearable. Just the slight movement will make you sweat.

"Miss, the clothes you have ordered the tailor to create was delivered this morning. Would you like to see it?" Xiao Yu informed me while fanning herself.

My face brightened up and instructed Xiao Yu to immediately bring the clothes over. I opened the wooden chest revealing my custom-made clothes.

Xiao Yu's face turned red after looking at the small, thin fabric in my hands, "Miss, aren't those a bit vulgar?"

Xiao Yu, they're called negligees.

I had a tailor come to the Chen Manor and requested to make me the said clothing. At first, the tailor was surprised by my request but she shrugged off and continued taking my size.

"No worries," I patted her back, "I won't be wearing these outside. I'll use it here inside my room."

Xiao Yu nodded but was still hesitant about my new clothes.

"Now, tell every males in this manor that they are forbidden from stepping foot into my courtyard. If they have anything to say, they will call for you." I told Xiao Yu and she exited from my room.

I took off my thick layered clothes and slipped into the soft fabric.

Ahh, that feels so much better.

[[Somewhere in the unknown...

"How's the first princess?" The masked man questioned his subordinate kneeling in front of him.

The subordinate awkwardly shuffled from his position, not knowing how to relay the message to his master.

"Did something happen?" The masked man raised his brows, worry starting to show on his face.

The subordinate cleared his throat and gazed at the other men inside the wide room, "master, can I whisper it to you?"

The masked man gestured for his subordinate to come closer. The subordinate did as he was instructed to and whispered to his master.

The masked man's expression turned ugly after hearing what his subordinate had told him. He slammed his hands on the table and shouted, "tell the shadow guards to withdraw from the manor!"

Everyone was terrified from the their master's outrage. They rarely see their master angry and if he does get angry, hell breaks loose. The subordinate who brought the news quickly bowed and disappeared from the room.]]

"Miss, wake up," Xiao Yu gently prodded me, "your dinner is ready."

I slowly opened my eyes and stretched my numbing limbs. Xiao Yu helped me put on an outer robe and we went to the veranda to eat.

Night has fallen and darkness loomed but my courtyard was bright and well-lit. I gazed at the clear skies and the twinkling stars.

I wonder how Chen Mu is doing? Did he eat already?

I shook my head.

He couldn't even write me a letter.

I couldn't help but feel bitter about his sudden disappearance. The last time I have seen his shadow was over a month ago. I still remember the last thing we talked about, of him trusting me.

"Miss, that girl keeps looking at you." Xiao Yu informed me, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Who?" I asked and turned to look at the outer court. My eyes found Ning Ai curiously staring at me. When she saw me looking at her direction, she swiftly avoided and pretended to do something else.

The day after my ridiculous encounter with Ning Ai, she came to me and apologized. She even pleaded, with bended knees, to transfer as a maid in my courtyard. I was about to refuse her but her enthusiasm won me over.

"Ning Ai, come here." I waved at her.

She seemed a bit reluctant but with hurried steps, she approached me.

"Miss, what can I do for you?" She asked, her hands behind her back.

"Sit. Eat with me." I pushed an empty plate on the empty space of the table.

She was surprised as she immediately raised her hand in refusal, "miss, a maid can't eat with her master."

"Its okay. Come." I encouraged her and she eventually agreed. She only sat in front of me and did not dare touch the food.

"Are you not going to eat?"

"Miss, I have already eaten." She lied.

I didn't push her anymore and instead, dropped the chopstick on my table.

"Do you like working in my courtyard?" I asked her.

She nodded profusely.

"I'm glad to hear that but," I smiled and uttered, "if you want to go back to the first prince's courtyard, just tell me."

This time, she bowed her head, "miss, I prefer working in your courtyard."

"Do you like the first prince?" Xiao Yu brazenly asked. Even I was taken aback.

Ning Ai jumped from her seat and kowtowed continuously, "madam, this servant does not dare covet the first prince."

"I think I heard that from someone too and yet, she still did." Xiao Yu snorted, remembering Ming Shu.

"Enough." I helped Ning Ai up and gave Xiao Yu a glare which she shrugged off.

"Madam, the first prince is just like a big brother to me," Ning Ai explained as tears were threatening to fall from the corner of her eyes, "please believe me."

I comforted Ning Ai by giving her hand an encouraging press. She seemed to calm down as the color of her once flushed face returned to normal.

"Madam, I am a married woman. I also have a child back home." Ning Ai told me, wanting to reassure me that she does not have any ill motives against me or the first prince.

I genuinely smiled at her, relieved.

No love rivals for me then.

[[Somewhere in the unknown...

The masked man ordered his female subordinates to take the vacated positions in the Chen Manor. With a sinister smile on his lips he commanded them, "burn everything."]]