4 | Commons (II)

"Thief!"

"Thief!"

The voice shook Xanthy awake. June cursed and was already yanking the trap door open when the door to the cart burst open.

"Go!" June barked at Xanthy.

Xanthy lunged and dropped to the ground. She rolled aside as June followed her. Together, they crawled from under the cart and burst into the open. Someone was yelling from behind them. Dagrine hooves thundered. Dear gods.

Colorful tents waved as she and June passed by. The pendant bounced against her chest. Her breath hitched as a small gasp escaped her lips.

"June!" she extended her hand towards him. He nodded and clasped her hands in his. Xanthy didn't know much about how the varichria's gift worked but she hoped it was enough for this situation.

They wove through cobbled roads due west. Merchants dressed in varied garbs of every race yelled as Xanthy darted past. Fowls clucked, street clerets screeched. Xanthy ducked as two men carrying lumber on their shoulders padded in her way.

Crates of fresh produce littered the streets as their merchants loitered around. Chatter faded in Xanthy's ears as the sound of hooves trickled closer. June pulled her into a corner and Xanthy almost collided with a dark carriage. Oh, gods. Not a dark, fancy carriage.

True enough, a Noble dressed in a tailored suit raised his cane and swung. June yanked her out of the way before it connected and they were running again. Xanthy cast her eyes at the road. Wide roads meant that they're at an important place that pleases Nobles to visit.

The only place that the Nobles visited was...

The Traders' Square.

Xanthy had heard of this place. This was the only site where Humans and Fairies were allowed to breathe in the same air.

The road forked. Concrete, three-storey buildings flanked the streets. June stopped.

"Which way?" she asked.

June pulled her east.

Carriages pulled by light colored dagrines whizzed by. Cobblestones slapped Xanthy's soles as the wind drove her hair backward. Large estates spread from the main road with high, grated gates guarding them. It would be hard to jump over those.

June cursed as he shoved people out of the way. Xanthy hid her face with her free hand.

"Stop!" a commanding voice called.

June flashed a rude gesture and doubled his speed. Xanthy huffed as she matched his pace. If possible, the sound of hooves increased. Oh, however could they run from a dagrine?

She got her answer when June pointed his palm backwards and barked a spell. Xanthy yelped as light speared from his hand and slammed straight into the dappled dagrine. She watched its rider fly off his steed. The poor animal whinnied and bucked.