9 | Correspondence (I)

2412, Tull 27, DalethThere was no new plan

There was no new plan.

Xanthy had scoured through the whole library and found nothing that talked remotely on how to change races nor on how to get rid of the Virtakios. Hell, there's not even enough mention of the supposed-to-be special power more than the fact that it was supposed to be from the world beyond them.

Was it possible that she wasn't from Fantasilia at all? Was that why she couldn't remember her life before she was ten?

Ugh. Xanthy plopped on the ground and stared up at the ceiling. The mural painted on it faded years ago, giving Xanthy a blurry view of what it depicted. Dust danced in the air as it was illuminated by the early morning sunlight creeping from the window facing the estate's west.

Why would Vikara even bother having a library if the tomes would just be piled on top of each other like this?

Xanthy muffled her frustrated squeal with both her hands and jabbed her feet against the dark umber floorboards. She needed to find something—anything—to calm her nerves and help her accept herself. Because, apparently, being Disfavored wasn't enough. Now, she got to be a fairy in Cardina and the unique case of the Virtakios in Fantasilia, too.

One thing at a time. Xanthy sighed and turned her head to a pile of tomes she had untangled yesterday. The answer wasn't in this library. So what if it's out there?

Xanthy sat up with her eyes wide. That's it! If she couldn't find the answer in this library, perhaps she would get it from the public libraries in the Commons! Or...buy a new tome, perhaps?

She dug a pouch of versallis she always carried in her person. About twenty, large coins blinked at her along with a dozen, smaller one the color of her dress. Would this be enough to buy a tome?

That's a question she posed to June as they entered the weaving room for their morning session. Xanthy's loom had produced the most roll of textile the past week she has been here while June lagged at the forty-third place in the Warden's log records.

They reached their machines and Xanthy automatically placed her feet upon the treadles. June scratched his head from his loom beside her. "Tomes, huh?" June tested his treadle and yelped when it triggered the loom's mechanisms. "I would say it is a bit expensive in these parts. I am not entirely sure."

"Buying a tome now, are we?" Jarvik's voice tore Xanthy's embarrassment away from June. She whirled to find him starting another project. Hopefully, this one's more colorful than the last. Or made entirely of shades of brown looks nice, too.

Xanthy smiled at the middle-aged man. "Ah, yeah," she nodded as she began weaving for the day. "How much are they?"

Jarvik tapped his chin with his shuttle. "I would say about fifteen versallis?" he shrugged. "Not much into reading, anyway. What topic are you looking into this time? Taboo spells got boring for you?"