52nd Chapter ♣ Savior

"What just happened? Chavi, what just happened? She came out of nowhere and started going cray-cray, saying I just tried to what? Maybe I actually nearly broke that guy's foot when I stepped on it—but that's because he tripped me!"

Chavi's whispers of comfort didn't appease Valeriana's nerves. After what happened, the girl wasn't sure if she could go back to class and concentrate. Chavi hung out with her while she wallowed in worry. She didn't know how long it took her trying to gather her thoughts.

"Oh my god." She clenched her shaking fingers. "I feel . . ." She sighed. "I'm scared. Why? I just don't understand."

"That Julian jerk must've done all of this in purpose!" Chavi angrily remarked. "He must've staged some sort of accident and chose to blame it on you."

"If that really is the case, we've got to make him admit it wasn't me who did that to him!" she exclaimed. "But there's something strange with Courtney too. When we had that thing going a while ago, I felt . . ."

"What is it?" her friend curiously asked.

"Never mind, maybe it's just my guess . . . there's no way a demon can enter the academy, right?"

"A demon?" Chavi sat back in shock. "You cannot be serious. If somebody else hears you . . ."

"I know. But there's that strange thing I felt back then too, the day Zion challenged me. What do you think? Should I approach the headmaster and tell him about it? Maybe that's the reason why Courtney acted so aggressively and it all makes sense now. But, even from the very start, she's already had anger issues. So maybe I'm wrong."

Chavi worriedly regarded Valeriana with her gaze. "I'm not sure . . . but if it will make you feel better, then go for it. I'm sure you're coming from somewhere." She then smiled at her comfortingly, hoping to cheer her up from the recent encounter. The girl leaned towards her and pinched the fifth-ranker's cheeks, stretching it in an attempt to make her smile. Valeriana swatted Chavi's hand away and growled.

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to cheer you up," she answered. "Tell you what. Why don't we do something else to keep your mind off of it?"

"Like what?"

"I'm not sure. What's your idea of relaxing, anyway?"

"I don't know. A warm bath and a glass of milk."

"A bath it is, then! How about we soak in the hot pools?" Chavi suggested. "The academy has sweet hot pools. I'm so glad they exist!"

After towing Valeriana away and dragging her into the hallway, they trod the path leading to the baths. Valeriana admitted it was a good idea.

Even so, the halls ran quite a length.

Once there, they started to strip off their clothes. Valeriana wrapped herself with a towel to cover her modesty. It wasn't uncommon to use a towel while soaking and she needn't be told twice.

There weren't many people in the baths. In fact, aside from Chavi and Valeriana, there were only four other girls soaking in the pools. Usually, there would be more people, but today didn't seem to be the usual.

"Ah, well, whatever."

Valeriana and Chavi submerged themselves in the water. The warmth seeped into Valeriana's skin, letting her muscles relax. She blew out a sigh and tilted her head back as she leaned against the wall of the pool, somehow glad Chavi suggested taking a soak.

"Let's do this every day," Valeriana muttered in ecstasy.

"Certainly. Why not?" Chavi giggled.

"I just want to forget there's a Courtney, there's an academy, and there's a Twelve. I wanna forget everything about this world."