Chapter 11 - Julio's

XIMENA

I'm beating myself mentally for giving importance to a date I didn't agree to. I've been looking around my closet for a while, asking myself what to wear, and I also wonder if Jaden will show up for real. After I picked my car from his garage, there's been no communication with him. He's supposed to be here in an hour and I'm making an unnecessary fuss about how I should look. I close my eyes and shove my hands in the closet, grabbing whatever. This ends up being a lavender top and a striped dress, so different from each other. Maybe Greg can help me choose; he's known Jaden forever after all.

Without knocking on his door, I just let myself inside Greg's house and stop in my tracks when I see him. He watches me over a pair of glasses as he sits on the couch shirtless—a large scar starting at his waist almost reaches his chest, but the defined muscles on his stomach are impressive—while surrounded by papers.

"You are naked..." I say to the ground.

"I'm wearing more clothes than what you had at the candy shop," he chuckles.

When I lift my gaze again, he's putting on a t-shirt.

"Are you okay?" He asks me.

"Why do you hide those abs under frumpy sweaters?"

Greg laughs heartily. "I don't find it necessary to show my body. The students get distracted as it is."

"Maybe if you would show a bit more skin they will pay more attention to you."

He shakes his head as he smiles and piles the papers. "What do you have there?" He motions with his nose to the clothes in my hands.

"Oh this, yeah, that's what I came here for. I have a date, but I don't know where we are going. I have these two items as choices."

"A date? Who's the lucky guy?"

"Jaden," I reply and he lifts an eyebrow. "Problem?"

"Didn't think you liked him much. I would have guessed Charlie or Brian were the ones who asked you out," he points at the lavender top.

"I got tricked into it. Why Charlie or Brian?"

"Don't get me wrong, Jaden is my friend, but has always been quite rough around the edges. I thought you were more into romantic guys like Charlie, or calmer like Brian or the intelligent kind."

"So... Intelligent guys like you?"

Greg doesn't answer, but his cheeks turn bright pink.

"I had one of those before; romantic, calm and intelligent. He betrayed me. My life isn't like my books."

His mouth opens but no words come out, so I return to my place to finish some chores and get dressed while feeling slightly annoyed. When the doorbell rings, I look out the bay window and see a black SUV, that looks like new, parked behind Greg's car. Voices come from the entrance and I make my way downstairs. Greg leans on the door frame while talking with Jaden, who looks handsome wearing a black shirt and dark jeans.

After a quick goodbye to Greg without even looking at him, we walk towards Jaden's car. I don't expect him to open the door for me so I do it myself, and I'm completely right as he just walks to the driver's door.

"Are you pissed at Walker?" He asks. "That was a weird interaction."

"Not pissed. Disappointed maybe. We didn't argue, but his assumption that you are not my type bothered me."

"And am I?" He smirks.

His question makes me reflect. "No, but does it matter?"

"It doesn't. I'm glad you are here with me," Jaden smiles and his face softens.