Chapter One

My story begins in the most typical, tragic, timeless setting: high school.

For most, including myself, high school is not the best four years. In fact, it's somewhere full of hatred, depression, judgement, needless cruelty, peer pressure, and all-around misery. Only those select few that miraculously sprout a social life and have the opportunity to live the high life are free to give that 'best four years' speech.

The sad reality is, it's in these four years of decision and choice and growing when we most lose ourselves. The system is as corrupt as the people living it.

I'm not here to dwell on all the negativity. In fact, I'm not even here to dwell on the positive. I'm here to explain my search for a semi-successful experience with the hellhole known as high school. Because there is hope for the hopeless, as my little story will express.

Sometimes things work out in unexplained ways, and sometimes we don't know people as well as we think we do.

On this particularly dreary day, I sit in the corner of the classroom, taking notes just like everyone else in the class. Most everyone, that is.

My teacher, Mr. Bennett, is still droning on about some English project that needs to be done, etc. etc. The little interest I offered at the start of class is long gone, and the doodles in my notebook are proof of this.

There are whispers and laughs around me but I've learned to pay no attention to it. I've been in this class for a semester already, and it's always the same routine. The stereotypical group of troublemakers sit in the back, right next to where I do (tragically). The group consists of Shelby Clark, head cheerleader, Missy Livens, her best friend, Karen Johnson, the other best friend. On the other side is Brendan Marks, quarterback of the football team, typical jerk, and arrogantly attractive. A few of his friends, Luke, Drew, and Danny surround him.

Why was the choice ever made to put me in their class? In fact, I happen to be in multiple classes with them. Of course, they wouldn't know that. They pay attention to nobody but themselves.

"No, no, no, Danny, you've got it all wrong. It was Shelby who wore the red dress last time. Do you really not remember the purple dress I wore to prom? Really?" Missy's voice rings through the classroom. Snickers are heard throughout the room. I can't help myself from smirking.

"Look, Missy, I have been to multiple dances with you. You drag me to every single one. And I'm pretty sure that the fact I don't remember one color of one dress that you wore one time isn't that big of a deal," Danny sighs.

"Excuse me, class. I'm giving very important instructions. I would very much appreciate it if you would settle down and listen," Mr. Bennett says.

"Danny, really? Really? I can't believe you! Do you know how much time I spent finding that dress? Do you know how excited I was to wear that dress? And you go mistake it for Shelby's? What kind of a boyfriend are you?" Missy yells.

"Calm down this instant!" Mr. Bennett demands.

"Really, I can't deal with you anymore. I'm not going to take it anymore," Danny sighs, rubbing his face. "We're done. I'm done with you. Done."

"What?!" Missy screams. "You... you can't do that!"

"Just did," Danny says. then he mutters quietly, "Best decision I've made all year."

She stands up and darts out of the classroom, her face bright red.

"That's it! The entire back row, every last one of you, you're going to detention after school for the next week. I am sick and tired of listening to this arguing. I'm done," Mr. Bennett says.