forty four

"If you want the rain then we comin' down."
-Watch Me, Jaden Smith
________________________________

Alec

I speed down the steps, less wary and more urgent. My name has never felt so much pain.

I come to a chilly corridor with several steel-iron doors along the walls. I twist the handle of the closest one but nothing happens. The second door has the same result, and her screams of pain are only getting louder. I'm getting closer.

Finally, I come to the final door. This has to be the one since I can feel her piercing scream from inside puncturing my heart. Without thinking twice, I shove open the door and stumble inside.

The screaming stops. Everyone goes silent apart from a faltered whimper from the centre of the room.

And for this moment, I'm completely and utterly terrified.

How could they do this? How...?

Liv is strapped to a chair, head bowing down. She's panting heavily- gasping- with her hair soaked with sweat and her hands shaking. Her hands are handcuffed to the chair, her ankles likewise.

Rosa is standing behind Liv, hovering around a little black box with voltmeters and buttons inside.

And Jasper. Stood, frozen, watching me with shock. I feel anger brewing in my insides, and I know it's only a matter of time before I explode.

"Alec?" Jasper says, confused.

At the sound of my name, Liv lifts her head and the smallest smile appears on her tear-stained, dead-eyed face. "Alec," she releases in a torn-apart voice.

I run over to her, and put my hands on either side of her face, frantically trying to put the life back into those deep green eyes. Kneeling in front of the chair and clinging her to my chest, I spit at Jasper and Rosa, "What are you doing!"

"We're getting rid of the voices that are killing the people at this school. We're saving her along with everyone else," Jasper says. The voices were the cause of the deaths? I guess that would make sense. So, Liv...? No. It wasn't her. It was the voices in her mind. They aren't her.

I stare back at Liv, watching her bottom lip quiver. "I'm here. I got you."

Olivia

I smile for a split second and nod a painful nod.

He's here. Alec is here. Alec.

Standing up again, he turns back to Jasper, his eyes filled with fire and ice at exactly the same time. His eyes, not just brown anymore, but a mix of amber behind copper and the earth and windy forests and warm fireplaces and a feeling of hope. Brown eyes are so underrated.

"You were supposed to protect her. When you care about somebody, you do everything to make sure they don't get hurt!" he yells, standing and facing Jasper.

Jasper glowers. "This is my responsibility!"

"No, this is your fault. Look at her, look at what you're doing!" Alec shouts, stepping aside so Jasper can get a view of me.