~25~

Edited

  "I was thinking about what you said, about living in the moment. Well I realized, that if I'm going to live in the moment, then I just want to live in the moment with you."  -One Tree Hill

~~~~~~~~~~~~

|Present|

I sighed in frustration as I smoothed down my dress.

I couldn't believe this was happening.

My mind recalled what had happened a few short hours ago.

I'd been reading peacefully in my room when someone knocked.

"Come in." I had called out.

My father stepped inside hesitantly. After a few awkward moments of silence he finally spoke up.

"I've arranged a small party tonight, to announce Sara and my engagement. I'd really appreciate it if you joined us." His voice had been almost timid.

We were enveloped by a thick silence once more.

Finally, I had given him a silent nod.

I had almost laughed at how surprised he looked, like he'd been expecting me to fight or throw a tantrum. Honestly, I had been surprised myself by how calm I was.

I had realized that it was easier just to accept some things.

Sometimes acceptance made things easier, less painful.

I could hear people laughing and talking downstairs. The party had started an hour ago but I couldn't bring myself to join them.

The door suddenly flung open and I turned around, half expecting it to be Danielle or Jace, I'd invited them for moral support.

My smile faded when I saw who it was.

"What the hell are you doing here Nichole?" I snapped.

She chuckled coldly. "It's my sister's engagement party, where else would I be?"

"Get out of my room." I gritted out.

She shrugged nonchalantly. "Nah. I like it here, I'll stay."

I could feel my anger flaring and I watched her walk around and touch my things.

My breath hitched when I saw her pick up a photo-frame on my dresser, the one with the picture of me and my mother. It was the last present she had given me.

"Put that down." I spat out.

She turned towards me slowly. Her lips drew into a smirk.

"Okay." She responded.

I watched in horror as she flung it to the ground. My heart dropped as I watched it break into a thousand pieces.

My shock was soon replaced by anger.

"You will pay for this." I hissed in fury.

She just laughed. "What are you going to do about it? Run away for another three years again?"

I snorted. "You know, I'd like to hate you Nichole but you're nothing but an insecure and pathetic spoiled little  girl and I only feel sorry for you."

Her eyes blazed. "Take that back." She threatened.

"Make me." I taunted.

She took a step towards me and my hands curled into fists, prepared to fight. I wasn't going to back down. Not this time.