3: Another Summon

A/N Image is Unai by Ldra.net

Unai whines and nudges at the man holding his contractor

Unai whines and nudges at the man holding his contractor. The man pats Unai's soft head reassuringly. 

[He'll be fine Unai. He just passed out. I'm impressed he held on to consciousness for so long. In his current state, my arrival must have been excruciating for him.] Lenix tells Unai telepathically.

Lenix wraps a small blanket around Imogen. Lenix leans him against Unai as he takes in the dark, dingy room they are in.

A growing look of disgust paints his face as he examines the small area.

No windows. One door was open allowing some light to filter in. Outside the door, a narrow hallway leads to some stairs. Must be a basement then?  The room smelled of unwashed bodies, blood, and damp earth. It was musty and stuffy. 

Four cages take up most of the space in the room. One is broken while the other three are still occupied by small naked bodies. They are slumped awkwardly in their unconscious state. The only other furnishing is a fancy overstuffed chair with a high back and cushy armrests. The chair is the only clean thing in the room.

[Well this place is disturbing. It has the look of slavery. Nasty. Any idea what this is Unai?]  

[No. I've never seen this place or knew of this situation. Imogen formed the contract earlier in this life than the last. If this happened to him last time, he never spoke of it.]

Lenix occupies the chair near the exit. He ponders the other three caged people. He wants to know more about what's happening here and doesn't feel good about leaving these other three captive children behind. 

[Break open the other cages too, Unai.]  He's decided to wake one if possible.

[Will it be safe to do so?] he asks as he moves toward the cages. He'll do as Lenix says regardless, he's just curious what Lenix has in mind.

[They won't be any threat to us. I'll ask some questions, then they can do as they wish.]

There are two young males and a small female. All are skinny, dirty and bruised. None look as undernourished as Imogen, but none of them are well taken care of. 

[Does this world have excessive poverty?] So far everyone he has seen in this world is skinny ragamuffins. Granted he has only seen four people. But this is a worrying trend nonetheless. 

Unai thinks there had been many reasons for the poverty issues of this region. Food shortages natural disasters, corruption of leaders. They discuss a few general situations Unai could remember as Unai moves from cage to cage breaking each one.

At the final cage, Unai growls and bites the occupant on the arm. [This boy was one of those that betrayed Imogen.] 

Lenix can feel the loathing through Unai's thoughts. There was an inky darkness to them as they clawed into his mind.