.12

The team had made it back to the compound with the scene still incredibly engraved in their minds. Wanda had walked straight to her room and changed into her comfy clothes before going to sleep. Carter had made sure to give her space, along with the ever comfort of food. Carter checked on her everyday and sometimes she didn't move from her bed, it broke his heart.

The worst outcome he had imagined was coming to life, she was shutting him out again. This had happened about 2 months after moving back out to the farm, she began to shut down, and spent a lot of her time cooped up in her room, Lila nor Cooper could get her out. Wanda began to practice her powers, and try to become stronger, so in case Carter was in danger she could protect him.

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation...between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries...in Lagos, Nigeria last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission...in Lagos, when the attack occurred."

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil...not only because of the actions of criminals...but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent...is no victory at all." King T'Chaka was up on the television screen as Carter sat in his room, Wanda and him liked to share a room at times, but they were seperated her in the compound.

"They are operating outside and above the international law, because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these." Carter turned off the television before grabbing a piece of gum, and throwing it in his mouth. He felt the migraine already forming and he was ready to fight it. Carter walked out of his room and down the hall to see Steve had already beat him to Wandas room.

"What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have...to operate in Nigeria...?"

"It's my fault." Wanda spoke, her voice soft, and fragile, Steve shook his head, "That's not true."

"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific." Carter sat outside her room hearing her and Steves conversation, his knees tucked up to his chest, he didn't want to intrude on a moment between them, Steve looked at Wanda like she was the daughter he never had, it was touching, how he helped her grow as a hero, and as a person.

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it. Rumlow said "Bucky"... and all of a sudden I was a 16-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn. And people died. It's on me."

"It's on both of us."

"This job...We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody, but if we can't find a way to live with that...then next time...maybe nobody gets saved." Carter stood up when Vision walked down the hallway, Carter and Wanda both had tried their best to help Vision get used to the world he was born into so suddenly, Vision nodded at Carter before phasing through the wall.

"Vis! We talked about this." Wanda let out an annoyed sigh,

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that...Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr Stark was arriving." Vision motioned to the door that now Carter stood in, Wanda could tell Carters migraine was forming and she stood up and walked over to the young man. She placed her palm on his cheek, before kissing his forhead, her touch was instantly soothing.

"Thank you. We'll be right down." Steve stood up and rubbed his hands on his pants,

"I'll use the door. Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest." Carter raised his eyebrow when Vision walked over to the couple,

"We know who it is?"

"The Secretary of State." Carter sighed, before grabbing Wandas hands, she slid on her socks, before walking to the confrence room, Wanda was nervous he could sense it. Carter squeezed her hand tightly before he came face to face with Tony.

"Carter. Wanda." Tony nodded, seeing the two who were obviously close, sit down with Vision next to them. It was like Vision was their child and they were teaching him everything.

"Five years ago...I had a heart attack...and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life...because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass...I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me. Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us...protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes...there are some...who would prefer the word vigilantes." Secretary Ross spoke, introducing a story to begin the meeting off, Carter held Wandas hand tightly under the table, Ross knew of their history and he must have known about Carters past too.

"What word would you use, Mr Secretary?" Natasha asked.

"How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals...who routinely ignore sovereign borders... and inflict their will wherever they choose... and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" Ross looked to the group before turning around to the screen.

"New York." The images from New York haunted Carter, it was where he first used his powers to defend those he loved.

"Washington, D.C." When Hydra was secretly invading all of S.H.I.E.L.D. Steve had met Sam during those events.

"Sokovia." Carter looked closely at Wanda then, her eyes never leaving her fallen and broken home, he could see the tears forming, Carter squeezed her hand but she didn't respond.

"Lagos." When Ross spoke that word, Wanda's face constricted with pain before turning around again to face the table. "That's enough." Carter looked at Ross before looking back at Steve.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power...and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate, but I think we have a solution. The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries...it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organisation. Instead...they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel...only when and if that panel deems it necessary." Ross slid the accords towards Wanda first who looked at the title before scoffing and pushing the book to Rhodey.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that."

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?"

Carter was annoyed, "Thor is probably back in Asgard with his people, and Banner is probably off on a deserted island somewhere because he doesn't want to be here." Carter met Ross' eyes with a challenge. Ross looked away first.

"If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes... you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." Ross tried to plead, Rhodey looked up, "So, there are contingencies."

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna...to ratify the Accords. Talk it over." Ross walked to the door, before Natasha stood up, "And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Ross chuckled, "Then you retire."