.15

carter hadn't been stuck in a dream like state this long

carter hadn't been stuck in a dream like state this long. he was constantly thrown into different scenes and flashbacks in his life. dinner time with mom, the accident, meeting luke, seeing wanda...it all hit him at once. his memories were in overload. he felt like he couldn't breathe, like he was underwater. his mind was messing with him, even in this state, but he still felt a hand grip his intently.

he knew it was wanda, who was currently sitting at his bedside trying to coax him out of it. his entire mind was so scrambled, that wanda thought it was best to help ease his painful memories.

carter's mother was just outside of his room, worrried for her son, she was biting her nails, a nasty habit she had regained from her mother, she watched the girl comforting her son and began to thank the heavens that he had someone now.

carter was slipping. further and further into his dreams. his fears looming over him, his breathing was slow as he overlooked a green pasture, with rhinos and sheep. the city was massive and he saw the giant panther in the distance.

he blinked and the scene changed, he saw wanda and him, in scotland, talking about visions progress in the normal world. they were happy and away from everything, and everyone.

the scene shifted again, he saw this giant purple creature. his heart beat increased, and wanda saw the jump and immediately stood up. he saw tony on a wasteland of a planet, he saw death and destruction that the creature had caused. suddenly his eyes opened and he sat up, almost a bit too quickly being he grabbed his head and stuck a hand down on the railing of the bed. he groaned as he looked around the room before shutting his eyes and then he let out a painful scream.

wanda gripped onto his arms and tried to ease his pain but nothing was working. "carter breathe." she whispered seeing his mother rush in, her hands were over her mouth as she watched her son struggle to calm down. carter rocked back and forth after a while of screaming. the poor boy didn't know why he was seeing those things, but he had a feeling those things he saw were going to be true.

carter hugged his knees close to his chest as the tears rolled down his cheeks. "carter?" wanda asked hesitating a bit, "can you hear me?"

carter's eyes moved around the room frantically seeing blurs before he saw wanda's eyes, he took a deep breathe, "what happened?"

"you fainted...vision said it was due to exhaustion and also you were overwhelmed when you saw your mother again."

"m-mom?" he asked hesitantly, "carter, honey." she ran forward and instantly brought her son into her arms, carter felt odd, like this couldn't possibly be real, but she felt real, wanda had backed off a little bit letting the two have their moment...but it was almost like this was a ploy, vision had unknown abilities so if this was really his mother...she would be able to answer a simple question, but wanda wanted carter to enjoy this moment, she knew he felt guilty over what had happened to her.

"mom what, why are you here? how did you find me?" carter asked her looking into her eyes for the first time in almost a decade.

his mothers posture stiffened and then she finally spoke, "when i awoke in the hospital, it wasn't a hospital, it was ran by someone who didn't know the power they possessed...which caused them to turn a whole bunch of former deceased patients alive...and you are all over the news kiddo, you're an avenger! my son the avenger!" she almost whispered the last part.

carter looked down and then at wanda who lingered in the back of the room. he knew this was too good to be true, something was iffy about this and he smiled at wanda. she messed with her hair a bit, "do you need anything?"

"no i'm okay for now...mom can you give us a moment...please?" carter looked up at his mother, she nodded before walking out of the room.

wanda waited until she shut the door before launching herself at carter, hugging him tightly. "i'm okay. i'm okay. i'm okay." he whispered to her repeatedly. "i thought you weren't going to wake up, and then you did. it's been almost 3 days, we've been trapped in this compound. vision won't let us leave, i tried to go get some groceries and he-" wanda jumbled out, her eyes growing teary.

"why won't he let us leave? what the hell happened?" carter motioned, "tony." she whispered, carter was shocked, "my moms not really my mom is she? she was a ploy by tony to knock me out so that you could be alone. she probably doesn't even know half of my memories with her. tony's really playing dirty and one hell of a game of chess, which by the way i always beat him at." carter swung his legs over to the side of the bed, he gripped the railing before standing up and feeling the lighting course through his veins.

he was angry and he was about to lose it. using his mother as a ploy to knock him down was uncalled for. tony could've asked instead of going that far. the heartache that this had caused carter had hurt him deeply, wanda watched her boyfriend from the wall, "we are getting out of this place." he reassured, he knew clint was going to come get them either way, he wouldn't stand seeing himself or wanda locked up in here.

carter walked slowly out of the room, seeing his mother on the bench across from the door. "you know when i was 6 and broke my arm on the porch swing thanks to that ratty old screw? you told me that everything was going to be okay?"

she nodded quickly, "you also told me to be brave, that i needed to be brave when we went to the emergency room, i got a green cast because green was my favorite color because it reminded me of you."

the person in front of him nodded, before carter looked up, "you nodded, but you wanna know a secret? i never broke my arm when i was 6. i didn't break a bone until i was 10...gotcha." the persons eyes went wide before carter reached out and grabbed the imposters shoulder, "who are you! what do you want?!" carter hissed, "i'm-"

"cut the bullshit! who are you!" he yelled out causing vision to come around the corner, wanda exited the room slowly seeing the person change in front of her eyes.

"its a skrull." carter mumbled, he had only ever heard about them from phil. he let go of the creature before they took off running. he already know who had sent him, the skrull ran off and out of the compound before carter fell to his knees. he knew it was too good to be true and he was so angry, and upset, it wasn't a good combination. especially with what the situation was outside of the compound. he was determined to get wanda out of there. she didn't deserve to be trapped in here and neither did he. he looked at vision with his dark brown eyes, and vision looked confused.

carter was ready to put him in the ground and to find steve.

||

a/n:
hi hi, just watched endgame yesterday and all i can say is holy fuck....bring tissues lots of them i bawled my eyes out in that theater. i'm ready to finish carters story and to complete his series, i know you are all very much attached to him as i am and it hurts that i will be done writing for him in the near future.