Chapter Five

Ruby's P.O.V

It took my brain a couple of seconds to register that the stinging feeling on my cheek was because Noah had slapped me, tears welled up in my eyes at the pain that started to accumulate on my cheek. I bruised very easily, so I knew that I was going to have to put makeup on to cover up the bruise that was going to form on my cheek.

He grabbed me by my hair and pulled it towards him in a painful way, I let out a yelp but his hand clamped my mouth shut. I heard a giggle in the background and looked up to see that is was Mackenzie, she was looking at me with a smirk playing at her lips.

"Know your place slave" Noah spat at my face as he threw a punch into my solar plexus knocking the air out of me, I collapsed onto my knees when he sent a punch to the side of my head. The world around me started spinning and black dots were covering my vision. This feeling was familiar, I was about to pass out and I was willingly ready to give up my consciousness, I welcomed the blurring of my vision. He delivered a couple of strong kicks to my stomach, making me more nauseous than I already was, I'm suddenly enveloped in a sea of pain.

I don't know why I never stood up to my bullies, I always curse them out, insult , but in my head, never out loud. Why? Because they've traumatised me enough to the point that I'm too scared to even cover myself from the blows that I get.

I suddenly hear loud shouting, it was a masculine voice that I didn't recognize. I was pulled into a body that smelled of cologne and detergent, I instantly relaxed into the arms of this person, my legs could no longer support my body and I started to drawn into an abyss of oblivion.

I felt butterfly taps on my cheek, "Hey, hey Ruby get up. Get a hold of yourself, I got you now", my eyes fluttered open to be met with a pair of chocolate coloured eyes that seemed to be filled with instant relief. I tried getting up but I felt so dizzy that I layed back down in this guys arms again, which by the way who is he again?

"I'll take you to the hospital and back home if we can make a deal" he said, standing up and cradling me in his arms.

I managed to groan out in agreement when he continued, "Great, how about I take you to the hospital and back to your apartment if you never mention this to Hunter" I nodded without hesitation. I hadn't planned on telling him anyways.

"I know I should be grateful that you helped me and all but one quick question, who are you?" I asked confused, because he looked familiar but I couldn't pinpoint exactly who he was.

He chuckled, "I'm Joey and I'm always willing to help that's all you need to know for now, and oh don't ever mention me to Hunter. You're not supposed to know that I exist." he ended with a small smile. He started jogging down the stairs to reach the parking lot, and I was slightly jumping up and down with the steps. I had another question for him, how was he capable of carrying me like I was nothing? He looked completely unaffected. Not even winded.

We walked or he walked us over to a grey mercedes, he swung open the back door to reveal the sleek interior of the car. He gently put me down on the seat, secured my seat belt and then slammed the door shut so that he could climb into the driver's seat. He turned on the car and drove out of the parking, into the highway that would take us to the hospital.

After approximately fifteen minutes of Joey thinking he could sing Shakira songs, and us almost crashing about five times because he would start dancing we finally reached the hospital parking lot. The drive was short but it definitely lifted my mood, I warmed up to Joey really fast because he was that kind of person that even though you don't really know them, your guts tell you that they're a good person.

Plus he helped me, so that probably means that he's a good person.

"Come on, big girl" he said, reaching under my legs he picked me up princess style while slamming the car door shut. He locked the car and walked us over to the entrance of the hospital, the automatic doors slid open with our arrival and Joey walked straight to the receptionist.