Six

Benjamin unlocks his moms' office, sitting down at her desk. He opens files and her social media. Then he sees the iMessage app pop up. He types in his dad's phone number, seeing if the two were still in contact.

He wasn't the type to snoop but he and his dad really didn't get along. I mean, really.

He sees "Damien", his dad. He clicks on the chat, seeing their conversations. He scrolls down, seeing the recent messages.

- i wanna see you again.

- what about benny?

- he doesn't have to know.

- okay. wanna meet friday?

- friday works for me.

Benjamin sits back and grabs his phone from his back pocket. He takes a photo of the chat before he prints it off. He closes out of everything, heading up to his bedroom.

He calls his mom though it goes straight to voicemail.

**

"Noah. Noah help me." Benjamin laughs, barely walking straight. He didn't know where he was and he was drunk.

"Ben- are you okay?"

"I only had a few drinks and now I'm lost."

"Okay. Describe where you are?"

"There's a sky and a ground....and there's tables...and cars...and trees...green trees...And everyone's like drinking coffee...You know...The green mermaid lady?"

Noah chuckles and nods. "You're by Starbucks. Okay, sit down at a table. I'm gonna come get you. Can you do that?"

"Wow."

~
Noah shows up ten minutes later, seeing Benjamin drinking from a flask. He grabs it from him, shoving it into the pocket of his pants, "Enough drinking. Come on."

He helps Benjamin walks to his car, before driving him home. Noah helps him to bed, shaking his head. "You must be lightweight."

Benjamin shrugs, laying down.

Noah places Benjamin on his side, grabbing a small trash can to put by the bed. "I'm gonna head home. Text me, okay?"

"No! Stay please....don't wanna be alone. The monsters will tell me mean things."

Noah raises his eyebrows and sits down on the bed. "Mean things?"

"Like...they'll tell Benjamin he's too fat. Or too feminine....they once told him he's too ugly."

Noah frowns, rubbing his thumb up Benjamin's cheek. "Make sure you tell Benny he's just fine, okay?"

Benjamin smiles, falling asleep. Noah looks at him a little longer before sitting in his desk chair, deciding to stay.

**

Benjamin wakes up, looking over at Noah. He frowns and looks around before becoming aware of his surroundings. "Shit...I'm sorry."

Noah looks up from his phone and smiles. "It's good."

Benjamin runs his head and sits up. "I didn't even mean to drink. I was just... wasn't thinking...I guess."

"It's fine. You give great conversation".

Benjamin lets out a laugh, quickly covering his mouth. He throws the comforter off himself, grabbing his phone.

"Can I ask why you got drunk in the middle of the day?"

Benjamin sits on the end of his bed, sitting his phone on his lap. He looks up, "You know how...we had assumed my mom was lying about work?"

"Yea."

"Turns out you were right...she's having...I guess you could say an affair with my dad."

"I'm sorry."

"Yea... it's just that...she said they weren't getting back together cause of all the shit he's caused but..."

Benjamin gets up, walking over to his vanity to grab the folded paper. He hands it to Noah, who takes it. He opens it, reading the messages. "I'm so sorry."

"It's fine...not like we can really do anything, huh?"

Noah stands up, grabbing Benjamin's hand. "Hey. Everything is gonna be okay...just talk to her, Okay?"

Benjamin stares at Noah in the eyes before looking away. "Hey. It's six, do you want some like pizza or something?"

Noah clears his throat and pulls away, shrugging his shoulders. "Uhm. Sure."

*

Benjamin smiles, "Thanks for...picking me up."

Noah nods, grabbing his phone, "See you at school?"

"Yea." Benjamin smiles as he walks Noah out before returning into his house. Benjamin begins putting up the leftover pizza. He sits back on the couch, grabbing his phone.

His mom's caller ID pops up on the screen.

Benjamin presses the phone firmly to his ear. "Hey, mom."

"Mom? What happened to Momma and mommy?"

"What's up?"

"Someone in a pissy mood. Wanted to know why you called earlier."

"Oh. Nothing...it- we need to talk about something when you get home."

"Let's talk right now."

"No...how's work."

"Good...good. I actually have to g-."

"Of course you do. I have to get ready for school, night. Benjamin hangs up, throwing his phone down.

He walks downstairs, going into the fridge. He grabs his mom's bottle of vodka, pouring some into his orange juice. He sets it in the fridge to bring to school. He fills the bottle back up with water, going upstairs.

He steps into the shower, hearing his phone ring. He begins crying, shaking his head.

After his shower, he throws on a baggy tee-shirt with some underwear. He climbs into bed, seeing several texts from his mom asking about his attitude and disrespect.

Benjamin sighs and puts his phone on mute.

**

Noah wipes his chest, setting the weights down. His mom walks in, smiling. "You work so hard. Just like Abuelo".

Noah grabs his water bottle and takes a long sip before shaking his head.  "Don't talk about him."

Selena frowns. "He didn't mean what he said, Mijo."

"Yea, why he say it then?" Noah grabs his jump rope, moving off the mat.

"Watch your mouth. Shower in ten, you shouldn't be working out this much, what did he tell you?"

Noah grunts. "Didn't know I had to take orders from Abuelo."

"Well, maybe you should."

Noah rolls his eyes, setting the jump rope down. "I'm going to shower."

"Noah Jesus Martinez, Stop it".

Noah ignores her, walking up to his room.

*