Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Valerie <3

Chapter 1

I lay in bed, refusing to glance at the time because I didn't want to get out of bed. It was just one of those days where your mind seemed to think about the most random topics imaginable. Anything seemed interesting to me right now.

"VALERIE! WAKE UP, YOU LAZY EXCUSE FOR A HUMAN BEING!" My best friend Taylor yells somewhere from downstairs. I groan and turn over in bed, not want to get up at all. I lived with my best friend, Taylor and we just understood each other. I've never really been this close to anyone except for Niall. Yes, Niall as in Niall Horan from the world's biggest boy band, One Direction. I smile as the memories flooded through my mind

*FLASHBACK*

"SMILE!" Niall said.

"NO!" I reply, hiding my face in his chest.

"Why?!" He asks.

"I look funny!" I say.

"No you don’t, now smile!"

It was a gorgeous day, and Niall and I were at his house, near the pool with the rest of our families. I caved and finally looked to the camera with a smile. The second I did so, Niall's mum grabbed the camera and snapped a picture of us two.

"This is a great picture to show in a slide show when you two are married!" She says, laughing.

Everyone that went to our school always asked if Niall and I were dating, but we weren’t. We were just best friends, and I had never felt anything more or less for him, he was just like a brother to me.

"Niall, at least smile, you look like a baby raccoon that has just lost its mother" Maura (Niall’s mum) said.

Niall and I were laughing so hard that Niall fell into the pool, and because he was holding me, I fell in with him.

I snapped out of the flashback and smiled, mostly to myself. My life wasn't perfect, far from it actually. I was only really good at one thing, singing. After much convincing, Niall made me audition on the X-factor with him. I made it pretty far, up until the first round of live shows actually. I was a pretty modest person and never really accepted compliments on my voice. However, I will admit that I wasn't the worst singer out there. Anyways, once I got into the live shows, my whole world turned upside down.

I found out I had a brain tumour. Until this day, my best friend doesn't know why I left the X-factor. Niall and I never talked, I ignored him because I didn't want him to know what had happened to me. I regret it so much, because now I can't get a hold of him. He's famous, there was no chance in hell of talking to him again.

Why is it that when you lay in bed, and feel lazy, that your mind decided to wonder and think about every damn thing in the world? I sigh and get out of bed, and stretch my sore muscles.

*

"Taylor! What’s for breakfast?" I scream, skipping down every other stair to get down to the kitchen quicker. I fail and end up sliding down the stairs. I whimper a bit and pull my sorry ass off our staircase.