17 | EYE OF THE STORM |

➖

SOMETIME DURING the old movie, Rory dozed off on Jasper's shoulder. It was almost twilight when he gently awoke her, whispering her name in the dim room alit with the brightness of the tv screen.

"Sweetheart, it's getting late," Jasper said softly. "I should take you home."

Rory nodded and stood up stretching. Her short dress lifted dangerously high up her thighs, Jasper's eyes following the exposed creamy tanned skin hungrily. She didn't notice as she grabbed her things.

They left the Cullen's home in comfortable silence, after a brief but nice goodbye from his family members. Esme gave Rory a hug and Rory promised to return soon.

The drive back to her house was filled with easy conversation and mindless banter, soft music playing as the Jag zoomed down the roads. It was the calm before the storm, the swirling clouds of tension seemed to hang over the both of them silently.

"Are you gonna stay the night?" she blurted out as they neared her house.

"If you want me too," Jasper said with a raised brow at her sudden excitement.

"I always want you," Rory replied cheekily.

Jasper lowered the volume of the music as looked at her. "What's going on in that pretty little head of yours?"

"I thought Edward was the one that read minds," she retorted.

He looked at her pointedly.

"I'm just very, very, happy, Jasper," Rory smiled. "You make me happy."

He matched her expression, placing his hand on her thigh affectionately. "Sweetheart, I've waited my whole life for you. You're my sole reason to be happy."

At his words, something clicked inside her. This whole time she had been waiting for the perfect moment to tell Jasper but she should've realized that every moment with him was perfect. She stared at his profile, her heart racing and cheeks red and eyes wide with happiness. "There's something else."

"Hmm?"

"I realized something a while ago," Rory said quietly. "I wanted you to know that I love you, Jasper Whitlock Hale."

The words flowed from her mouth like sweet honey, like the most beautiful melody Jasper had ever heard, accompanying the symphony that was her heart beat. He was speechless, caught off guard by her profession, his hands were on the wheel but all he could see, hear,  smell, and think was her.

Rory loved him.

This angel who appeared in his life without a warning, this beautiful human girl with a heart of gold loved him, a monster, a beast barely grasping onto his humanity, who had given up hope on finding true happiness.