7A | The Truth May Set You Free

Semaj's POV

Michael and I were running late to the restaurant because right before we walked out the house to get in his car, his connect called to let him know that he was coming to pick up my mom's car. So even though Michael was told to meet up at the restaurant at seven we didn't actually get there until after seven thirty. Luckily, the group of college students just sat around drinking and having conversation until Michael and I finally made it. I had a tight grip on his forearm as he followed the hostess who was escorting us to the table. I had never met any of Michael's college classmates before so I was a little nervous. I believe college students differed largely from the normal high-school teenagers that I dealt with on an everyday business.

"I started to think you were gonna bail on us," the familiar voice from earlier on the phone said once Michael and I got over to the table.

The hostess left and I peeked around Michael to see a tall dark skin male about the same height as Michael stand up from the table. Michael was going to dap him, but because I was holding onto his arm so tightly he wasn't able to. He looked back at me and cocked an eyebrow and I gave him a 'what?' look. He just chuckled and grabbed me, bringing me to the side of him. Eric smiled and held out his hand for me to shake.

"I'm Eric and you must be Semaj?" He asked and I nodded while shaking his hand. "I would say I heard a lot about you, but Michael don't talk about you often."

"Yeah, Mike," a girl who sat across from the two empty seats said as she held a glass of wine in her hands. "We didn't even know you had a girl until Eric told us."

I felt a little embarrassed that only one person out of the five people here knew that Michael had a girlfriend. I felt a little twinge in my stomach as I thought about it too. Was Michael not telling people about me because he was a private person or was he not telling people to make himself look available? It was confusing, but I would ask him about it later. I didn't want to get into an argument with him if it turned out to be the later.

"But let me introduce you to everyone, Semaj," Eric spoke up changing the subject. "I'm Eric, that's the birthday girl -my girl-Cam, Nicole, Joey, and Nate.

Of course Nicole was the one to mention that Michael had never said he had a girlfriend and I wouldn't doubt it if she was the same girl who was Michael's partner for his project.

I waved at them as he ended his introduction and Michael and I finally sat down. He sat on the end while I sat between him and Eric.

"So, Semaj," Nicole spoke up and I looked over at her. "What college you go to?"

"I-I'm not in college. I'm a senior in high school," this made her raise her eyebrows.

"Oh, for real?" Cam asked and I nodded.

"So do plan on coming down to the community college or going straight to a four year?"

"The plan has always been to go to a four year."

"Out of state?" Came asked and I nodded again.

"Damn, Mike, how you gon deal with that?" Nate chuckled asking Michael who had sat quietly next to me looking at the menu.

"Deal with what?"

Joey talked for the first time and smirked, "with Semaj going to college outta the state."

Michael shrugged. "She can do what she wanna do."

"Nigga that ain't what he asked," Eric laughed next to me making me giggle. "He said how you gon deal with that?"

"Michael isn't the affectionate type," Nicole announced as if she had known him his whole life. "So he probably isn't going to care."

Eric nudged my arm, catching my attention. "Mike ain't the hardass that he wants us to believe is he, is he?"