One • Felicity

Three more days. Seventy-two hours before the coronation night. Everyone looks forward to the day that the title gets passed to me.

I don't want to be queen. All I want is freedom. I don't like walking in straight lines, wearing tight corsets, fixing my hair to perfection, making good impressions to please people all the time.

Hello, I'm Felicity Lowell. I am the daughter of Queen Felliana and King Tyler. People watched me grow up from the day I was born, nineteen years ago.

My family, the Royal Lowell family, they were the ones who fought against the vampires. They didn't kill them, they overpowered them and turned them into slaves.

Vampire or not, it disgusts me. No one, no creature deserves to be robbed of their own freedom. They may be punished for their crimes but never held against their will.

No one in my family knows about my hatred towards slavery. I'm pretty sure they've all wondered why I haven't bought a slave for myself but I don't care about their judgments.

Someone knocked on my door and entered. She was Mary, she's a servant to the palace but like a second mother to me. "Hi, Mary," I greeted her.

Even though I've told her multiple times that she doesn't have to, she still bowed her head because they call it 'a sign of respect.'

"Princess, I didn't bring your breakfast in bed because your family wishes to have breakfast with you."

Great. Now I have to get up, present myself in the most beautiful way possible. "Okay, I need a couple of minutes to get ready," I said politely.

"I have laid your dress and accessories on the table but if you wish to pick your own -" I stopped her mid-sentence. "You're a life-saver, Mary! Thank you."

She smiled before going outside my room. Mary has been serving the palace since I was born. Mary isn't a vampire but she chooses to serve the palace.

Mary thinks that she owes my father her life since he took her in and gave her a life when she was abandoned outside the streets.

Since then, I loved her. She was always there for me whenever I have no one to talk to or I'm too upset with my family because of their disciplinary rules.

After I dressed up, I checked myself in the mirror. Whenever I see the girl standing before me, she looks like a complete stranger. That girl is not me.

I would rather have my hair cascading below my shoulders than having it in a tight bun. I would rather wear converse and sneakers than tight doll shoes or heels. I would love to wear sweaters and cropped tops rather than corsets. I would be that girl to wear jeans rather than dresses.

If I have a choice, I would leave this palace and live a normal life. A life without expectations, a life without having the whole world criticizing everything I do. I would rather be someone new.

Mary knocked again and I know that it's time for me to head downstairs. I walked outside of my room and instantly, I switched to my princess role. A role that's a facade of my untrue self.

"Master, please, I can take no more!" Someone screamed. I recognize her voice, her screams were coming from the end of the hallway.

I know that she's a slave but that doesn't mean anything to me. I rushed to the room and followed her cries, it's not the first time that this happened, in fact, there's no time that it never happened.

There, I stood outside Jonathan's chamber, my brother. The cracking sounds of a whip echoes through the room along with her screams. Why does my brother have to follow the cruel footsteps of this disgraceful family?

I barged into his room, not bothering to knock. Katherine, his pet was tied up, helpless and completely under his mercy. Blood was running all over her body and she wasn't healing fast enough.

She looks a lot paler than the last time I've seen her. Her eyes looked down, tears were falling. "Jonathan, clean up. Mother wants us for breakfast, I'll take care of this."

He gave me an annoyed sight but I couldn't care any less. He dropped the whip and the moment it came in contact with Katherine's skin, she hissed in pain. Vervain.

I untied her wrists and her ankles and she fell down to the ground. I offered her my shoulder but she was too afraid to stain it with her blood. That's how low they think of themselves and I feel so sorry for them.

"Katherine, when was the last time he fed you blood?" She seemed slowly dying out of hunger. I'm impressed with her self-control.

"Princess, he fed me last week," she whispered. My brother is crazy! Vampires need to feed at least once every day, what the hell is he thinking?

"I don't have blood, Katherine. You can take some from me, I trust that you won't kill me." I hope she doesn't, she hasn't fed for seven days.

Katherine was very hesitant and I don't know why. "Princess, blood with vervain is -" I cut her sentence and realized why she didn't want to feed.

I almost forgot that everything in this world is laced with vervain. Lucky for her, I'm not. I don't drink it, I just wear a vervain ring. I removed it and she looked at me, stunned.

"Katherine! You're not healing, it's okay, take some blood from me, don't tell Jonathan." I stepped closer to her and held out my wrists.

Katherine took uneasy steps before her fangs elongated. She's a beautiful vampire. Long brown hair and fair-skinned. I hope I could help her escape.

When her fangs pierced into my skin, the pain was awful. She took small gulps of my blood and before I know it, she was already licking my wound for it to heal.

"Thank you so much," she said. Then, her wounds healed and her skin tanned. I examined my wrists and it looked like nothing happened.

Then, I was about to exit the room and when I glanced over where I left Katherine, she was cleaning the mess. I sighed since I couldn't do anything about it.

Before I left, she said, "I'm happy that you'll be our Queen soon, Princess Felicity."

• • • • •

New story! I hope you guys like it, I'm currently writing four stories right now and I make sure to update them every week. I hope you visit my account, follow me, and add my stories to your reading lists. Don't forget to vote and comment!