Chapter 28 - Nigel Quintin Ulysses

Chapter 28
Nigel Quintin Ulysses

"He's dead,"

I refuse to believe that.

Marcus' head is on my lap as I watch him, expecting him to wake up in any second. I don't know how long I have been staring at his beautiful face, or when I did put his head on my lap. All I know is that he sacrificed himself for me, to save me. Tears burn my eyes as I squeeze his cheeks, hoping, wishing that he'll wake up and tell me that he's fine and that everything is okay.

But his face, his hand, his skin are as cold as ice.

His friends are surrounding us, and their eyes are red from crying. The Great Alpha, as I have heard his friends call him, has his back perched on a wall, his fingers in his hair as he tries himself to stop crying.

"You should have accepted him," one of Marcus' friend says. I think he's the Great Beta. His eyes are trained hard on me, and there are streaks of tears across his cheeks. I keep my head down as I twirl a lock of Marcus' hair.

I wish I had accepted him. Had I done that, maybe this wouldn't have happened. Maybe he would be strong enough to defeat the evil man who attacked us, the one who called himself the Great Alpha of the Rogues. I rest my forehead against Marcus' and shut my eyes, tears falling on his cheeks. The Great Beta falls on the ground, feeling defeated.

"You said that you loved me," I whisper, my lips still on his forehead. "Now is the right time to prove it, you bastard." I keep squeezing his cheeks, his arm, his hands but he doesn't budge. He's not moving at all. "Just wake up, and I'll fucking accept you. I accept you. I do. Please..."

"Stop that!" The Great Beta yells. "Marcus is dead and that's because of you!"

His eyes glow as he stands up, his hands curling into fist. Is it a bad thing that now is not the time to be scared? Because I don't feel any fear; I only feel pain, anguish, and sadness. The Great Alpha stands up, grabs his Beta's shoulder, and says something that makes the Beta stop from yelling.

Another werewolf comes into the room. He's wearing the same expression as everyone, but his demeanor is calm. The Great Beta and the man hug and they kiss for a moment before the man pulls away, kneels down in front of Marcus, and stares at him right in the face. I lower my head down, planting kisses across Marcus' face until I get to his lips. And when our lips connect, it's like all life has been suck out of me and my eyes widen.

Everything turns white.

I shut my eyes.

And suddenly, I'm in a different world.

Or shall I say we're in a different world.

The Great Alpha and Beta, the man who I learned to be the Beta's mate, and I are inside this unknown world. Our eyes are wide as we watch our surrounding. There's water beneath our feet, but we're not getting submerged. It feels like we're floating, but not totally. I can clearly see my reflection in the water – tired, exhausted, face streaked with dry tears, sagged shoulders. I'm a mess.

Then I feel him breathe. Or I'm just feeling like it.

But there it is again – one heave up of his chest and I panic.

"He's alive!" I yell, which makes the others come forward and take a look at Marcus. His eyelids are still closed, skin still as pale as before, and his chest isn't heaving up and down. But I felt it. I fucking felt it. "He's alive. I can feel it. I feel him... why..."