Prologue

"The demon lay caged within his mind. With a thunderous roar he broke his bonds of servitude and laid waste to the Demon Lords. Nothing could stop him from vanquishing his enemies..." - Witness to the rise of the Demon King, Sebastian the Vanquisher.

Northern Romania, 1327 A.D.

"Master, open the door!"

With a grunt Sebastian rolled over, pressing against the naked female body that lay beside him. The woman sighed, slipping her pale hand up his neck to twirl around one of his horns. Smirking, he slapped her round backside and bit back a groan.

He couldn't remember the witch's name, nor did he care. But he did remember she was particularly gifted with her tongue...

"Master, please!"

Sitting up he pushed his long black hair from his face and squinted at the clock. "What the hell..." he groaned, his head throbbing.

Why in the gods would his servant wake him at this hour? Jasper knew full well he'd been up for nearly a week. After a hard won victory on the battlefield he'd been more than happy to celebrate with his men, indulging in drink and the delights of the flesh until exhaustion claimed him.

"My lord!"

Rubbing a hand over his face he snapped loudly, "The bloody castle better be on fucking fire, Jasper!"

"Master, she's coming. You must run!"

His heart went cold. She comes for me? Hastily he scrambled out of bed, roughly shoving the whore out of his way. She gave a loud squeal in protest, "My lord!"

Ignoring her Sebastian shoved his legs into his britches. With a growl he flung open the door. Jasper stood on the other side, a double edged sword in each hand. "Master, she is at the gates."

Son of a bitch!

"The wards?" The castle was protected by powerful wards. The magical barriers hid the stronghold from humans and prevented his enemies from entering.

Jasper shook his head, his face grim. "She's broken them."

"Damn it. The guards?"

"They can't stop her." The spectral demon's face flickered from solid to a ghostly translucent white. "Bane went out to meet her and didn't return."

Sebastian scowled, ignoring the stab of worry for his first in command. Bane was a skilled warrior, if the powerful demon could not stop her... "And Nicholas, where is he?"

"He has not returned."

Shit! Pursing his lips Sebastian tried to focus himself. "Get the servants out of here. I will face her." He'd brought this hell down upon them, and now he would have to meet his fate.

"Master," Jasper protested. Sebastian knew his servant would want to fight by his side, but he also knew it was going to be a losing battle.

"Do it," he ordered, his tone broaching no argument. Nodding Jasper turned completely incorporeal, disappearing through the floor.

Grabbing his sword he caught his reflection in a mirror. Straight black locks fell over his eyes, the golden orbs dull and battle worn. On his left arm he bore the insignia of his clan, a black dragon, the symbol of power and strength. His strong jaw was firm, his scarred body tense with the knowledge of what hell awaited him. He was a warrior, menacing and feared, and yet he was no match for the enemy at his gates.