We're All Not Okay

"You sure you're okay?" Daryl asks, handing me a cloth(or what really was a teared off piece of a shirt).

"I'm fine." I mumble, failing to make eye contact with him.

He shakes his head, taking the cloth from my hands, realizing I wasn't going to do anything about the blood that's dripping off my chin and running down my throat.

"Raise your head." He says, and I do. He takes the cloth and cleans the blood off my throats and holds it against my chin. "Hold it there."

I grab the cloth and hold it against my cut like he tells me. Daryl nods, sitting back, across from me. I'm sitting against a tree, and Hunter was to my left, watching everything.

When Daryl saw Hunter crawling out of the rusted car, he held me tighter, scooting away from the car. "It's okay." I told my dad. "He's with us."

Hunter kept asking questions about who those people were, why they attacked us, why I was bleeding, and eventually Daryl told him to 'shut his trap.' For which I had to tell Daryl to 'shut his trap' and then assured Hunter that Daryl was just being funny.

"You sure you're okay?" Daryl asked for the fifth thousand time.

"Yes." I say sternly, still avoiding eye contact. "I'm. Fine."

He then decides not to ask again. In a few minutes, we're all up and walking again. I had to explain why Hunter was with us to Daryl, which I summed up into a sentence I mumbled.

I tried talking to Carl, but he didn't want to talk. I asked him if he was okay, and he only nodded. He asked if I was okay, and I nodded back. But we both knew we both weren't okay in that moment.

After a while, it was Daryl, Rick, and Michonne leading in front, me and Hunter walking five feet behind them and Carl walking ten feet behind us, alone.

"Thank you for staying behind in that car..." I told Hunter. "It was the right thing."

"No..." Hunter shook his head, clenching his fists. "You got hurt."

I look down at him, confused, and he stares up at me with his large eyes. "Hunter, there's nothing you could do about that. They would have hurt you too... Maybe even worse."

Hunter sighs loudly, seeming angry. But, I decide not to push him and just walk in silence like everyone else is doing. Soon, our walking positions have changed once again. Michonne  and Rick are in front, leading the way, Daryl and I many feet behind them, and Carl and Hunter many feet behind us.

"So... how'd you get out?" I ask him

Daryl looks down at me, raising his eyebrows, confused.

"Of the prison... how'd you escape?" I exaplain.

"Oh..." Daryl trails off, looking forward. "I was with Beth."

"You were with Beth?!" I say, louder than intended and everyone heard.

"Is she alive?" Rick asks, just as he comes to a sudden halt and turns around to stare at Daryl.

Daryl hesitates before shrugging. "She was taken."

His words hung in the air for a few seconds, no one really understanding what he's saying. "Taken by who?" Carl asks.

"I... I don't know. But I do intend on finding her."

"How?" Michonne questions, furrowing her eyebrows.

"I saw the car they captured her in. If we can just find the car and follow it, we find Beth."

We find Beth.

And I'm kinda surprised he has this much hope.

~~~
(Carl POV)

If I'm being honest, I miss Ally. I know this sounds horrible, and selfish, and I hate myself for it, but... I think I'm jealous of Hunter. I know he's little but, it's like he knows exactly what to say to Ally at the perfect time.

I just... We're both... shocked, I guess. Scared. Shaken up. Worried. We just don't know what to say to each other to make it all better, because we're both feeling the same exact way. And don't know what to make of it. I miss talking to her, holding her hand, looking at her, just her missing presence is making me feel uneasy.

I know she's only a few feet ahead of me walking, but it feels like there's this line that I can't cross to get to her...

Anyways, we've been walking forever, trying to get to that Terminus place. It took a long time, but we eventually got there, and Dad made us hide most of our weapons in a hole in the ground on the outside of the place.

And that was our first mistake...