#13 I'll Be There [Part 1]

This  One shot series was loosely inspired by the song "Tenerife Sea" by Ed Sheeran. And also by my brothers who after I started fangirling over Poe and writing about him all the time have been begging me to kill him. So I said I would but that they would hate it. I'm am an awesome older sister. :P 

Poe shot the last stormtrooper as he threw a thermal detonator. It landed behind him and Poe had almost no time to duck for cover. It went off a second later and the blast door slammed shut.

"Are you okay?!" Poe shouted as soon as he regained his bearings.

You called back quickly from your spot behind some crates a distance away, "Ya! Are you?!"

"Yep. My ears are ringing though. Did we get 'em all?"

You quickly scanned all of the room that you could see from your vantage point and replied, "I don't see any more."

As you rushed over to Poe's position he tried to stop you with a reprimand, but it was too late, you were already sitting next to him by the time the last of the words were out of his mouth.

"-before you do that." he finished lamely, an eyebrow raised in amusement. "Well we should try to get out of here then. The blast door was triggered by that last detonator."

You reached up a hand to trace a trail of blood that was winding its way through the dirt marking Poe's face and he winced. "I'm fine, really." he tried to convince you.

"U'hu." you gave in sceptically. Cause it's not like there was any way to treat the injury at the moment even if he wasn't okay. "Blast door, got it."

Poe jumped up and moved to the door, trying to get it to respond, but the detonator had fried the access panel, leaving the door frozen shut. "Oh, this isn't good." he mumbled while you kept watch, making sure that there really were no more troopers going to jump out at the two of you.

"What's not good? Are we stuck?" you asked glancing at the panel more than a little certain that your words rang true.

"Yep, we are definitely stuck. Not that I couldn't fix it, it's just that I'm a pilot and maintenance is below my pay grade." he joked. "We're gonna have to wait until someone comes to dig us out. We'll be fine." he said with confidence, turning away from the door to scan the room himself.

There were piles of burning metal scattered throughout the docking bay. They had been fighters before the First Order had boarded the ship and attacked, but were now reduced to little more than useless scrap, if even that.

Poe sighed seeing the remains of his beloved black X-wing framed by the void of space that could be seen through the blue tinged energy shield that kept the ships atmosphere from venting into space. The troopers had rushed into the docking bay from the only other way in and pinned him and several other people down before they could reach the fighter.

You had been running with Poe to your own fighter, when the both of you got caught in the middle of the fire fight. You helped take down all the troopers but not before everyone else in the room had been killed. You have been fighting with the Resistance long enough to know that death was a part of war, but in a fighter, flying through space you seldom saw death this close, and you didn't like it, regardless of the side the dead were on. You averted your eyes and tried to focus on something else but the bodies were everywhere.

Poe noticed and put a comforting hand on your shoulder. "You gonna be okay?" he asked quietly.

You looked at him, your gut fluttering despite the circumstances. You were grateful for the distraction. "Ya. I'll be okay." you forced out. "Cry later, right?" you tried to joke, and you were more than a little surprised when Poe replied, in all seriousness,

"I'll be there." he looked deeply into your eyes and smiled softly. He wanted you to believe him. He hadn't been able to gather the courage to tell you how he felt about you yet, and he didn't want it to be to late before he took the chance. He tried to convey what he was feeling with those words but he knew that it wasn't really enough.

You sucked in a deep breath and nodded. "That would be nice. Thanks."

Poe was going to say 'Anytime.', but before he could get it out, there was a commotion at the other end of the docking bay, and more troopers rushed into the room spraying everything with their blasters.

Poe shoved you behind a nearby crate and dove the opposite direction for some cover of his own. Both of you opened fire and you called out to Poe above the noise. "If we keep up like this we're gonna run out of charge in our blasters!"

"I know!" Poe huffed, "I'm getting close to empty!" Both of you continued to fire anyways.

A trooper threw another thermal detonator in your direction and in a last ditch effort to conserve your blaster charge, you rolled to meet it and threw it back at the stormtroopers who weren't expecting the detonator to be returned.

It went off near the center of the group and took out over half of them. It also triggered to other blast door and it slammed shut like the first had. You came up out of the roll next to Poe and he shot you a look that said you were completely crazy and stupid. You replied with a cheeky smile and returned to taking out troopers with your blaster.

In no time the rest of them had been eliminated and you quickly stood to retrieve some of the weapons that the downed soldiers no longer had need of just in case you were surprised again before you could refill your own balsters. As you and Poe neared the cluster of bodies Poe cursed loudly.

"What?" you asked, not wanting to freak out before you knew what he was talking about. There had been a few fighters to make it out before the ship had been boarded and they were currently giving the First Order Ties a run for their seemingly endless supply of money. But as you looked up to follow his gaze you saw a Tie fighter careening rapidly towards you. You froze, unable to fully process what might happen when the tie made contact with the hull of the ship.

Poe grabbed your wrist and pulled you quickly into a run back the way you had come, farthest from the exterior wall, but you had only gone a couple steps when the tie slammed into the ships shields and exploded. Most of the fighter was vaporized, but several large shards of metal pierced the hull and stuck fast.

You and Poe were thrown off your feet by the force of the collision and you struggled to your feet turning to inspect the problem at hand. Your eyes went wide and your hair whipped around your face as the atmosphere in the room began to vent out into space. The holes weren't large enough to fit anything through, but you knew that if you and Poe were stuck in here for much longer you would run out of air.

Poe grabbed your hand again and pulled you to the other door. He quickly inspected it and then slammed his fist against it and yelled in hopeless frustration. He couldn't get it to open.

He turned to look at you and forced a weak smile onto his face. "Somebody will come."

You could only nod. You knew he was right, you just hoped that they would come in time.

A/N

CLIFFHANGER! Part 2 coming soon! (You can thank Marvel for it)

And also I just want to say that last night I went to see Avengers Infinity War with My brother and I'm not gonna spoil it I just wanted to brag that for once I was like not three months behind the curve! And now I have to wait a year for the next one! That might be why I'm being evil with the cliffhanger. So you guys can thank Marvel! :P