Chapter 1: Xu Nian Zhen

It felt as if a thousand needles penetrated her skin, forcing her to wake

It felt as if a thousand needles penetrated her skin, forcing her to wake. Her slumber was brief, she could tell by the heaviness that weighed on her temple as her eyes were sore and itchy. Bracing herself up, Xu Nian Zhen felt her throat dry and her body fought against her consciousness, forcing her to topple back down.

If memory served her right, she had been shot in the head.

Xu Nian Zhen nearly vomited, her mind conjuring the image of a gun muzzle, seconds away from the shot. Truth to be told she had never heard it. The last thing she heard was her partner's screams then everything else was a blank slate from there. No wonder she felt as if her head would drop any minute. Nian Zhen breathed and slowly got up again, painfully drawing herself to a sitting position. The room light was low, so she hadn't noticed it until now. But surprisingly, she was in a well decorated room. Yet the more she looked around, the more she felt something was off.

She was not in a hospital.

It was with this realization was she then hit by a wave of nausea. Xu Nian Zhen doubled over to the side and retched. Consequently, a torrent of images flooded through, allowing for reality to set in.

Xu Nian Zhen was the first daughter of the Xu household. The Xu family was of military lineage whose founder had helped the first emperor take over the land together with four other noble clans. Previously a general, her father, Xu Ming Jian had injured himself in battle and walked with a limp. Taking pity on him while favoring his talent, the current Emperor made him the Minister of Works

Xu Nian Zhen was the first daughter of the Xu household. Her father, Xu Ming Jian, was the Minister of Works of the Great Empire of Rongyao. Her Dage, Xu Hui Shi, worked as the Vice-minister to the Minister of Justice Gao while her other two brothers worked for the Military. Xu Hui Yu Erge worked as TongJun while Xu Hui Jin Sange was Jinzhou. Her only younger, full-blooded sister, Xu Nian Ruo, was the third young miss of the manor while her other younger siblings were all sons and daughters of her father's three concubines.

Nian Zhen coughed phlegm, specks of blood spewing out with the bile as well. Another wave of nausea hit her and she braced herself as torrents of information pounded against the insides of her head. She had come to the realization, though she honestly did not want to believe it, that she had been reincarnated! Worse, she had gone back who knows how many centuries and was living the life of a spoiled young miss from ancient times. Nian Zhen did not know what was worse, her headache or this girl's life. Vertigo hit her again and she succumbed to this girl's memories- or rather, they were her memories now.

Calling the previous Xu Nian Zhen a spoiled young miss was an understatement. She was a narcissitic prima donna! The current Nian Zhen felt horrors upon realizing what the previous young miss did in her lifetime. Apparently this girl was doted on so much that she had her head in the clouds, always thinking she was better than others, especially the children of her father's concubines. Since young she had teased them and made their life horrible. Worse, she had actually sent one of them away to the mountains, her half-sister Xu Wei An, all because she had been jealous of her.

Nian Zhen did not know whether to laugh or cry. In her previous life, the one where she had lived in the modern world, she also had a lot of brothers and sisters. She was jealous yes but it couldn't be helped with younger siblings. She had selfishly thrived to be a good sister and daughter to her family. She had taken medicine as her profession because she wanted to make money. She wasn't as naïve as to think that she could help all people, but being the eldest had its downsides. She had to work quickly to support them so she ended up as a paramedic. Though she detested it at first, she more or less had come to love the job. She knew the kinds of horrors humans could wreak as well as how precious life was. Everything was going well until, of course, she had her brains blown to bits. But that didn't concern her at all. She was much more devastated at this girl's own schemes. As she sifted through the memories, she could not help but recoil at the vile being she currently inhabited.

"Just my luck to receive this girl's retribution." She laughed dryly, her sides aching. Her head was much clearer now so she used this chance to probe some more.

She realized that the old Xu Nian Zhen was utterly foolish. She had died due to both her stupidity and a broken heart. In this ancient era, princes actually existed and so the previous Zhen-er was infatuated with her Erge's close friend, who just so happened to be the Eight Prince Liu Chen Yun. Upon meeting, she had shamelessly provoked him thinking that her beauty could easily sway him. Because of this Ba Huanzi had called her ugly, embarrassing Nian Zhen. She had demanded both her father and brothers to wed her to the eight prince but it ended in vain. In a feat of anger, she had threatened to kill herself. The place she had run off to was the Plum Blossom (Jīng méihuā) Courtyard which had its own waterfall and lake. Because she had been careless, she slipped and hit her head against the rocks and fell into the lake. Thus, ending Xu Nian Zhen's life.

Only, she wasn't dead. The current Xu Nian Zhen had the mind of a 26-year old in the body of a 14-year old girl.

Xu Nian Zhen groaned. Her head ache had subsided as soon as she finished recounting this girl's memories. However, her body still felt wasted. She still couldn't understand why she had reincarnated into this girl. These kinds of things usually happened if the person had died an unfair death hence was reincarnated for the sake of vengeance. She really didn't understand why her soul had fitted this body. Xu Nian Zhen was one the who deserved retribution, not the other way around.

It was sudden but then, another image flashed in her head. She was looking face to face with a girl about two years younger than her, her pretty face brimming with tears. The Xu manor's second young miss, Xu Wei An.

Nian Zhen smiled dryly. It looks like retribution indeed had come. But she, the Xu family's renowned Da xiaojie, was going to have to be the one to pay for it.