8

There was a furrow at her brow, surprised by his admission. "I enjoy your company John Thornton that is the truth. I don't know if I could give this up, I feel like I am able to help the town of Milton."

"I wouldn't ask you to give up anything Alexandria. You are a help to Milton. Perhaps a change of location, would be all I would ask."

"A change of location?"

"Yes. Perhaps something closer to the mill and what would be our home."

"That sounds reasonable." Yet, she frowned again. "May I ask of your reason why you wish to court me John?"

"Besides finding you fascinating and thrilling?" He chuckled when she nodded. "I have developed feelings for you Alexandria. The way you are with my son and how he is with you, I'm sure helped some. Please believe me when I say it is far more than that. I don't laugh often these days and you have the ability to make me smile and laugh. I don't think I have met another person as intelligent as you are."

The doubts stayed there, hidden within Thornton. There was no way he could tell her that he was concerned. Would she make him a laughingstock with her strange ways? Would he lose the admiration of others that he enjoyed having? Men listened attentively when the Master of Marlborough Mills spoke. Their wives followed suit.

She was an outsider, not one of the fine families of Milton. At least with Margaret, her family had lived in Milton before they passed away. They had made their mark on the industrial town. Alexandria had none of that. Although she was making her mark in a different way.

She chewed on the corner of lower lip. If I am going to live in this dream, I might as well enjoy doing it, she thought. "Then yes, I accept your proposal."

Leaning in, Thornton kissed her full lips. The tender kiss was almost chaste, at least to start with. Alex's lips parted, permitting for the kiss to deepen. Surprised at such sweet passion, Thornton pulled her to his lap. She straddled the tops of his thighs with arms sliding about his neck and felt him harden at the apex of her thighs. The long nightdress rose upwards, until it bared her long legs almost entirely.

John had the words of an apology on his lips but when she pressed down and towards him, the words were lost. Alex undulated her hips to grind against his erection. She felt his groan of pleasure more than heard it. His cheeks were red with fire but he didn't stop her. He had no desire to stop her, truthfully, but he had to be certain this is what she wanted!

"Alexandria, we must stop."

"Is that what you wish John?"

"No."

"Then don't."

Thornton tugged at the ribbon that closed the neckline of her nightgown. He inhaled sharply. The full swells of the tops of her breasts were bared before him. Kissing the smooth flesh softly, his hand cupped one. The nipple immediately hardened through the thin cotton cloth.

Without a word being spoken, John Thornton swung Alexandria up and into his arms, carrying her out of the way of the windows where they could possibly be seen. Upstairs in her small bedroom, Alexandria was placed back on her feet. The dressing gown fell to the floor with just a roll of her shoulders. Carefully, the nightgown was pulled away. He gasped softly, Thornton had been reaching for her and his hand stopped abruptly in midair. He knew she was slender, anyone could have seen that. Yet, Alexandria wasn't slight. Her body was well curved and she was far more toned than he would have ever guessed. Running his hand down the slope of her bottom, he thought that he would die right here on the spot if he wasn't able to touch her further.