1 1 | s t a r e s

How He Fell has made it to the second stage of voting for the Readers Choice Awards 2020. Please please please go vote for the book in the Teen Fiction Category and show some love! I beg you!

Song of the chapter: It's Alright by Fractures

☙❦❧

MADDOX inhaled sharply looking over at Evelyn with a certain wariness present in his features, "So is it everything you imagined?"

She looked around gobsmacked, memorizing every single thing about the place. Her eyes flickered everywhere. From the merry-go-round to the cotton candy stand to the center attraction, the iconic ferris wheel.

She was lost for words. She was finally at the town fair.

Maddox watched her expression, waiting to see a smile light up in anticipation. He waited for her to squeal in excitement and run around wanting to try every ride out.

But instead he saw her eyes fill with tears. This was not how it was supposed to go.

"The fuck?"

Choking on a laugh, she flung herself into his arms, attempting to squeeze the life out of him.

"Thank you so much!" she exclaimed in happiness.

Laughing slightly, he maneuvered to hold her steady before she landed face first on the ground.

Her eyes lit up as she looked at him, "How did you convince my parents?"

Her voice was curious and quiet, not wanting to know the answer but also needing to know it well.

~•~

A day prior

He knocked on the door with hesitation. Shaking his head furiously, he snapped his eyes open and took a deep breath. The nervousness was replaced with oozing confidence, making him seem more intimidating and authoritative.

What better way to make an introduction to the Moreau family?

As footsteps neared the door, he inhaled sharply before exhaling to calm himself down. His palms, oddly enough, were sweating and he swore that sweat would drip off his forehead any minute.

Fuck. Why was it so hot in Florida?

Hearing the door unlatch, he shifted from one foot to balance some weight onto the other foot. It's better not to fidget in front of those you wish to impress.

The door opened after what seemed like forever, with Logan Moreau standing there with a picture perfect smile. She was ready to play a typical mother. Beautiful, smart and kind.