14| M a s o n

I'll be here if you ever come calling
By the ocean I'm a ghost of everything, everything
That we ever did, ever did
You got me caught,
got me hooked,
got me fixed up
You got me chained but I wouldn't
wanna change for anything, anything
Not for anything, anything

-Fixed, New Hope Club

14| Mason

Evelyn was riding shotgun with her legs up in the dashboard, looking outside as if she didn't give a damn about this world. She was humming a song under her breath and moving her head with its rhythm. She looked like she didn't even acknowledge his presence whereas she had looked like the world was ending only a few moments ago.

Mason wondered what actually went through her brain. She was hard to understand sometimes. Mason glanced at her sideways and then looked forward.

"So, the bad boy is taking us to his secret hideout," Evelyn commented as they drove on. The streets were mostly empty. This part of the town was green, covered with trees on both sides of the road. There was no residence around. Mason liked it here.

"I don't have any secret hideout." He replied flatly.

"That can't be happening. You are the school's renowned bad boy, you have to have a secret hideout to regret and rethink about the mistakes that made you a bad boy." She said still looking outside.

"Jack has one. Maybe I should take you there." Mason said. "But we have to climb up the hill for that. Dunno if Rosy can handle."

"You really don't have a hideout?" Evelyn asked again quite not believing.

"Told you, no," Mason said once again. He had no hideout in the town. Sometimes, he would go to Ethan's tattoo parlor. The shop had an attached room with a punching bag and some other equipment. Sometimes he would go to Hillfar, the town beside Fallholt, where Ethan lived with his family.

"Who are you?" Evelyn asked and Mason glanced her way.

"You don't know?" He asked mocking.

"You work in a garage, you go to the library, you get nervous before an exam, you study your ass off then again you glare at people, you fight, you act like a jerk, you drink." She said counting her fingers with each point she made. "You are a mysterious jerk, nerd, and a bad boy wrapped in one person."

"Nice biodata. I should write that up for my college application." Mason joked and continued to drive.

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say, you are all the same. You are just pretending. The cover will fall off someday and I will see the same thing underneath."