Chapter Five: Dark Claw

(Ember's pov)
We gathered in the forest as the moon shone down upon us. Cole held up a hand and silenced the crowd as he stood at the front of us with his mate, Sarah. "The alpha and Luna couldn't attend so I am to lead this hunt with my mate, here's how it's going to go down.

You'll pair up and spilt off in different directions, kill any animal you see as this is the last hunt before winter sets in and the animals hibernate. Gamma's and omega's will be here to assist you and if you see anything suspicious then don't hesitate to mind link any wolf around you. Dismissed!" He yelled and I watched as people paired up.

Lyla linked her arm through mine. "It's you and me now" she said pulling me in the direction of the creek. "There are some good elk and moose by the creek we could start there, maybe catch some fish" she says her eyes gleaming in anticipation and excitement.

"Hey, before we head off, how do I mind link?" She stops and turns to me she grips my hands and her eyes glazing over. I feel a pushing I my mind and allow it to flood my mind.

'Hey' Lyla's voice floated through my mind and I shrieked.

'How in hell are you in my mind?!' She laughed.

'This is a mind link there are different types. Pack link, family link and mate link. It's like a thread in you're mind it buzzes with energy.

Grasp it and open you're mind you'll hear a popping noise and then you can communicate, you're able to stay mobile but fighting is dangerous which is why it's not often used in the rings or when fighting rogues.' I nodded and heard a snap and Lyla tapped me on the shoulder.

"You can link individually or can pull more than one wolf into the link, you're able to link because you're genes are changing and you're body also, preparing itself for the shift and the rise of you're wolf" I shiver. I'd been told that the shift hurts like hell.

I open my mouth to say more but Lyla holds up a hand silencing me. I watch as she stealthily creeps through bushes and behind trees until she reaches a fat doe. I watched with morbid fascination as she lunged and shifted, her wolf surfaced and in one fell swoop the doe was in the jaws of Lyla and her wolf.

Literally. Her wolfs jaws were clamped around the doe's neck and she was thrashing, I watched as Lyla bit harder and soon the doe was dead.

She dragged the carcass to me and shifted back, turning away I pulled out a long shirt and shoved it at her as she slipped it on. "Now, let's go kill is some moose and see if archery practice has done you any good" she teases as we walk away from the gamma who is hauling the carcass back to the clearing.

After about ten minutes we come to the creek and sure enough some big moose are lazily grazing. I watch as Lyla catches and kills some fish and stuffed them in her burlap sack. "Go ahead, bet you twenty bucks you can't get it in the first shot" she says smirking.

"Game on" I retort. I unsheathe my bow and put an arrow to the string. Lining up my shot I aim directly for the moose's eye. It flies at the speed of light and hits the moose in the eye. It whines and thrashed before falling to the floor. "Pay up" I say and Lyla huffs handing me the money.

"We can go shopping tomorrow, get us some clothes" she says and runs off to kill the moose and skin it. I sheathe my weapons. Snap! I whirl as I hear a twig snap. Two gangly and greasy men are smirking devilishly at me.

"Get away!" I yell, pulling out a knife. They laugh.

"Terrance sent us, he's paying good for this. You're gonna come with us or we'll drag you to him... But have a little fun first" one smirks and I shudder. Throwing the knife it hits the man in the arm. He roars. "Bitch! I'll kill you for that!" He screams. I run.

"Lyla!" I screamed as my feet pounded the ground. She darts in front of me protectively and snarls the men.

"Get back! I will rip you apart if you don't rogues!" She spits fiercely. They laugh.

"My, my you're a feisty one" he chuckles, she growls. I notice a dagger in her hand and watch as she throws it. It hits him in the head. He falls to the ground, lifeless...

We take off running as more rogues chase is through the forest. "Shit!" She exclaims. I look at her questioningly as we keep running my legs and lungs burn but I refuse to be caught. "We're heading into Dark Claw territory! We need to outrun theses guys and make it back to the clearing!" She yells.

"We can't! They'll catch me!" I yell. We cross the border line and instantly I regret it as I come face to face with a guy who looks like he's a fallen angel.

I'm grabbed and pulled into a hard chest and sparks fly at the contact. The rogues stop in fear. "Get them!" He commands and instantly wolves converge on them as they run screaming in fear. I pull away and he growls, Lyla pushes me behind her.

"Alpha, may we have permission to have sanctuary here?" Lyla asks politely which isn't like her. At all. He tilts his head.

"You may, but first tell me why those rogues were chasing you" he demands his stormy grey eyes leaving no room for argument. He looks to be my age yet he holds so much authority.

"With respect, that's none of you're concern, for it is Ember who must tell you" Lyla speaks holding her head high.

"Ember, that's a beautiful name for my mate" my eyes widen and Lyla gasps as the figure In front of me smirks, triumphantly.