Chapter 6

Both Steve and Bucky went to the recruitment center to apply for the army. Bucky came back with an enlistment form with a large '1A' stamp on the front while Steve's sported a '4F'.

"Steve, it's alright, you'll get in," Adeline assured her friend. In all honesty, she didn't want him joining the war.

"Yeah, thanks, Adeline," Steve said, looking at his almost full plate of food. He picked at a French fry once again, sighing. "I think I'm just gonna head home, guys. Thanks for the food." Steve walked out of the dinner before either Adeline or Bucky could protest.

Soon Adeline and Bucky were walking home. It was already nine o'clock and Adeline hadn't anticipated being out that late.

"So, when do you leave for training?" Adeline asked as they walked down the mundane streets of Brooklyn. Not many people were out as many men had already left for training.

"Three days," Bucky responded. "Camp McCoy, Wisconsin."

"How long?" Adeline asked.

"Six weeks," Bucky responded. "What about you?"

"December 29th, a week from today," Adeline said. "Camp Blanding, Florida."

"You get the warm weather," Bucky joked, though his eyes stayed humorless.

"You're scared," Adeline stated as she stopped walking to look up at him.

"You're not?" Bucky asked, turning to her. "My whole life, my parents told me war stories. How my father fought in the war and how his father before him. And now, it's my turn. I just don't want to disappoint them. I want them to talk about me, remember me."

"It sounds like you're already dead," Adeline commented, starting to walk again.

"Not yet," Bucky responded with a short, humorless laugh. "But I might be."

"Don't talk like that," Adeline said softly, looking into his distant blue eyes.

"And you, you're choosing this life," Bucky said with a hint of annoyance. "Why? When you could stay here, have a loving husband, a house, hell, maybe even some kids. The American Dream!"

"Do you want an honest answer?" Adeline retorted.

"That's the only answer I would expect from you, Adeline," Bucky responded bitterly.

"Well it's because of you," Adeline said, stopping and turning toward him. "It's because the only man I've ever truly loved isn't going to be here. It's because I don't want to stay home waiting for a letter from you to know you're still alive. It's because I don't want to be the one staring at your casket knowing that I could've done something. It's because of you, okay!" Bucky stood in shock, looking down at Adeline whose soft brown eyes brimmed with tears. Finally, her confession came out.

"Do you really mean that?" Bucky asked softly.

"I don't know, you tell me," Adeline responded in a shaky voice. "The Christmas of '38. Did you mean that? And how about everything in between? Or was it just dumb love?"

"Of course I meant it. All of it," Bucky responded, surprise showing in his voice.

"Then why didn't you stop me from leaving that day?" Adeline asked. "Why did you let me go to D.C.?"

"That was what you wanted," Bucky said. "I wasn't gonna stop you, Adeline, because if you stayed, you wouldn't have found yourself." Adeline shook her head, staring down at the ground, biting her lip.

"What the hell are we doing?" Adeline asked, looking back up at him.

"I have no idea," Bucky breathed. Their chests were almost touching and their closeness was intoxicating.