Chapter Seven

My eyes widened as I stared at the fuming captain near my hammock. 

"What is this," He growled. 

The charismatic captain that I just saw in the mess hall had turned into a different, more dangerous man. 

Judging by his strong reaction, my previous guess was right. He was trying to find Atlantis as well, and he was pissed that he had competition. 

"I think you know what it is," I said warily. 

"You were using us, weren't you. Using this ship, this crew, me," Lars said in a growl. 

"And your not doing the same?" I combatted, taking a step forward, "You want to find Atlantis to get out of the hold your father has on you. Your not doing it for the crew, your doing it for yourself." 

"Who cares if i'm doing it for myself, the crew will get a taste of the treasure too. I'm a pirate, I'm expected to be selfish." 

I took in a breath, and stayed silent. There was no point in making him even more mad. 

"Give me one good reason as to why I shouldn't throw you off of this ship right now," Lars said and took another step forward. We were two feet away now. 

"Did you take a look in the journal? Do you even know half of what it means? My father was a scientist, an academic. There's languages in there you don't even speak, and you won't find Atlantis without his notes. You need the treasure? You need me."

Lars gripped the journal so tight his knuckles turned white. I swear I could see smoke coming from his ears. 

"Fine, but I'm keeping this," Lars said, waving the journal and stormed off. 

When I was finally alone I wished I could sigh in relief. There were writings in there about how a woman was needed to find Atlantis. In this case, the woman referred to me. For reasons I did not know yet, my father had written that in order to unlock Atlantis a "woman's voice is needed". It was a very strange inquiry, and I was still piecing that riddle together. That wasn't the part that made me nervous though... Sooner or later, Lars was going to find out that I was a woman if he searched through that thing hard enough. He would definitely throw me overboard then. 

***

"Stop staring at him... it's weird." 

I jumped at the sound of Michaels voice right beside me. I was looking into the captains quarters at Lars looking through my journal. 

"Oh, I was just wondering what he was looking at." 

I really was. I couldn't help but want to know exactly what he was reading. Was it my father's mathematical equations on the location of Atlantis? The riddles he wrote about the clues he found? What we need to find still? 

"He's always looking at something," the boy said as he flipped a dull knife in his hands as if trying to make it seem easy. It eventually fell to the ground with a loud clang

The noise broke me out of my trance-like state and I turned to look at him finally. Then, just passed his shoulder, I saw dark clouds overhead. 

"Woah," Michael said as he scanned the waters ahead of us. 

I turned to look to see a large cave in the distance. It was massive - the surrounding area was covered in thick fog and cold air. I shivered. 

"Are we going... in there?" Michael asked with anxiety in his voice. 

I looked around for Gabe and spotted him near at the wheel. I bolted up the stairs to his side, "Does the captain have new coordinates?" I asked, trying to hide my anxious tone, "Or, uh... coordinates?" I said, remembering that I shouldn't of even known his original coordinates. 

"Just gave me the new orders this morning... were getting close. Seems as if that cove is our location. Although, much like the captain, it doesn't seem too inviting," Gabe said with a weary smile. 

I ran images of my father's journal in my head... riddle...north sea...diamond... "Sirens," I muttered. The new location... it was my father's location. The location I needed to go next. The one that was related to the siren riddle. This was not good. I ran down to the main deck ignoring Gabes questioning and bursted into the captains quarters. 

"What do you think-" 

"Shut up," I said, cutting Lars off. 

I went around his desk, regardless of his bickering and looked at the map before him, "Your bringing us right into siren waters!" I said. 

"You don't think I know that?" 

"Well shouldn't we be, I don't know, a tad bit prepared!!" I blurted. 

"According to your little journal here, this is the next clue to Atlantis. Right here, along with this riddle," Lars said as he pointed to the riddle written in latin, "And you, boy, will have to decipher that for me."

"I already have, I just don't really know what to do with it," I said. 

"What is it?" Lars asked, his blue eyes lighting up. 

"As you can obviously read, in english it says the riddle has been written and the lock has been found. All you seek is a ruby as red as the sirens who speak. So, I assume we need to get some sort of... ruby. Then here, in latin is some sort of song," I said and grabbed his pen and ink, writing the translation down on a piece of paper. 

The sea, my heart, my home

I long for your blackened soul

To come with me down to the depths

And love me like I'm rose and gold

Now you've touched my heart

Your eyes have seen my soul

Too far to scream to deep to flee

Your heart is mine it's sold

I drag you down with me

Down to my lonely realm

Love me for eternity and then at last were free

Please come down with me

Down to our lonely realm

Our love will last for eternity, our love will set us free

"Creepy..." 

"Agh!" I jumped. 

Gabe was peering over my shoulder, his head floating beside mine. I hadn't noticed him as I was writing down the song, "The hell is that?" Gabe asked. 

Me, Lars and Gabe stared at the song. All of a sudden a noise caused all three of our heads to whip up... that noise was a splash. 

"Sirens," Lars muttered. 

// Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Will be posting the next chapter soon :) //