Chapter 25

“What the hell?” Dan muttered angrily beside me. “How did they get it all the way up there?”

                The flag swayed tauntingly and as I squinted my eyes, I realized what was holding it in its place. The handle of a knife was wedging into the wooden part of the coaster rails; keeping the fabric from fluttering free and falling down.

                How was that even possible? No one could throw a knife that far, much less get it to stick.

                I turned to my team, and was surprised to see the look of guilt on Biff and Jude’s faces. I narrowed my eyes, and motioned for them to follow me; I didn’t want our whispering to alert the other team of our proximity.

                Once we were far enough that I was sure we wouldn’t be heard, I wheeled around and glowered at the pair.

                “How did they manage to get their flag up there?” I demanded.

                Jude darted a glance at Biff, and then clenched his jaw; unwilling to speak.

                “What makes you think they know?” Finn asked in defense of his friends; he obviously hadn’t caught on to the fact that they weren’t as innocent as he thought them to be.

                Randi stepped around me, and I half expected her to side with them as well, so I was surprised when I saw her narrow her eyes at Biff; her face set in a scowl. “What did you do?”

                Regardless of his immense size; when faced with the sudden fury of Randi, Biff looked about the same as any other chastised child. Hanging his head in shame, he muttered something unintelligible as he scuffed his shoe against the dirt. I didn’t catch what he said, but Finn must’ve heard enough, because a second later he’d wheeled around and grabbed Biff by the collar of his jacket.

               “You taught Marko what?” Finn exclaimed.

                Biff burned a bright red, and he stared helplessly at the faces of our team. “I-I didn’t know he’d use it to cheat.” He stuttered.

                “Use what to cheat?” Dan and I demanded in unison.

                Finn released Biff, and answered for him in a tone that told me he was mortified at what they’d done. “Umm, okay, so have you ever heard of or used a potato gun?” Finn asked as his lips turned into a frown.

                Dan and I shook our heads, but Randi seemed to understand what he meant because a moment later she was scowling even harder at Biff and Jude.

                “Well, they’re exactly what they sound like; they’re guns that shoot potatoes. We learned how to make them when we were kids so we could blow out windows on some of the abandoned buildings in the factionless sector.” Finn said.

                “Okay, and exactly what do weapon-ized vegetables have to do with capture the flag?” Dan asked impatiently.

                Finn sighed and then ribbed Jude to step forward.

                Jude sighed and explained. “Well for fun, we thought we’d modify it so that it could shoot daggers instead of potatoes. You know, so it would be more dauntless.” He hung his head. “We didn’t have the right pieces we needed though, so we made a deal with Marko. He’d get us the things we needed in exchange for the knowledge of how to make one.”