Chapter 28: Revenge

CHAPTER 28

Have you ever wished that certain people had a mute button?

As I stare at Jennifer's cherry red lips, going on about some cruise she took last summer, I wish that I could reach over and turn her volume level down to zero. Harry is sat next to me, hanging on to Jennifer's every word, and I ignore both of them and read the menu. Dylan sits across from me, his blue eyes sparkling as he glances over towards Harry and Jennifer every couple of seconds.

"And then, the guy was like 'Ma'am, you're not allowed to jump off the ship', but I didn't listen and then..."

I let out a tiny but frustrated sigh and close the menu, sipping on my water. Dylan looks and me and grins.

"Having fun, Leah?"

I stare at him, trying to figure out if he's kidding or not.

"Not really," I finally say.

"I'm sorry to hear that," he murmurs, picking up his own menu and flipping through it. I pull my purse into my lap and discreetly check my phone, realizing that I never texted Liam back. I quickly tell him I miss him too and right when I send the message I feel someone breathing on my shoulder. I look up to find Harry's bright green eyes boring into my own.

"It's rude to play on your phone at the table, Leah."

It's rude for you to drool all over Jen's boobs at the table, I want to say, but I bite my tongue.

"Sorry," I tell him, sipping on my water again. Harry snorts and turns away, going back to listening to Jennifer's fascinating story.

"How do you like working with Harry?" Dylan asks me. I assume he's trying to make conversation since the other two aren't going to include us anytime soon.

"Fine. We get along most the time and the workload is fairly easy," I say, stirring my water with the straw. The waiter put a lemon in there even though I specifically asked him not to, and I watch with distaste as the ugly yellow fruit sinks to the bottom of my glass.

"And you get to take cool trips like this," he adds with a smile.

Cool trip, my ass. All Harry and I have done the entire time is fight with one another.

Thankfully, our food comes out before I can start ranting about my boss's bad attitude. I glare at the waiter a little bit as he sets my sandwich in front of me, still upset about the lemon, but he doesn't seem to notice. Once he walks away, Harry and Jennifer go back to ignoring us and Dylan smiles at me again.

"You know, I didn't see any of the other CEO's bring their assistants," Dylan comments as he takes a bite of his burger. My eyes involuntarily flicker over to Harry, who is still staring at Jen's chest.

"What about Jennifer?"

"Actually, Jennifer is my boss. I'm just an under level sales manager."

"What?" I gasp, looking over at the blonde bimbo. How on earth is she the boss of Dylan?

"Jen's a really good at managing sales production. And she always knows how to seal a deal."

"How interesting," I murmur, suddenly feeling even more jealous of the girl. She is where I was at Miller, a top notch sales manager and probably soon to be promoted. A wave of anger suddenly washes over me and I see Ryan's face in my mind, the day I got fired replaying in my head.