Chapter 4

Chapter 4

After half an hour of looking at the huge interior of the hospital, Damien decided to wheel me outside. To say I was shocked at what I saw was an understatement, I was beyond amazed at all the beautiful wildlife that surrounded this entire territory. Outside of the hospital entrance stood two large stone totems with some type of ancient writing on the back where the faces weren't.

"Damien, where are we going?" I questioned as he wheeled me onto a smooth stone path that led around the side of the hospital. Along the path lined flowers of different kinds on each side. It was beautifully done in my opinion.

"You'll see when we get there. I know you'll like it." He replied back while glancing down at me as I quietly nodded, too entranced by the sound of nature around me. It was than when I noticed the path leading back into the woods that I came down from my trance. Slowly stopping outside the entrance into the woods, I noticed another set of stone totems sitting on both sides.

"Damien, what are the totems for?" I asked while pointing at the ones standing by the entrance as he slowly wheeled me through the entrance of the woods as the smooth stone path continued.

"They're for protection in case something or someone were to sneak into the sacred land." He stated as we continued deeper into the woods as it seemed like hedges surrounded both sides of the path while the vines overhead blinded out as much light as possible. "This place is like a sanctuary in case something happens and some of the patients or children are out in the garden. This is where they'll go until things calm down. If whatever broke through the barriers kills all of us, the exit would be closed off." He informed as I looked up at him.

"So, whoever's in here would be trapped in here and die?" I asked as Damien quietly shook his head. "What will happen to the people trapped in here?" I questioned on as the smooth stone path turned into smooth dark linoleum.

"She takes them to the other side of her portal." He stated as I stared at the large beautiful fountain that took up most of the center of the room. "When havoc wreaks on the sacred land, she's the protector of the frail. Through her portal is a land where they don't have to worry about death." He stated as I stared at the beautiful statue of a woman holding a large vase which had water coming out of it and into the fountain beneath its feet. "In this land, she's known as Gaia, the protector of the wolves. When a major situation pops up or we're being attacked, this statue comes to life and comes to the aid of those being shielded." He stated as I stared up at the statue quietly. Would a statue really come to life to protect a pack of wolves?

Your mother did say something about earthly deities in one of her lessons. Do you not remember? Khalil inquired as I tried thinking back past the incident but my memory only fogged over to that night before I was being shaken back to reality.

"Are you okay, Rose?" Damien questioned as worry quilted his face before he wiped away the tears that I didn't know were falling. "I think you might need something to keep you occupied." He stated while gently smiling at me before standing up from his squatted position in front of me. Without another word, he quietly wheeled me back towards the hospital. Quietly sighing to myself, I focused my attention on the flowers lining the path. This might be my last time seeing them before I'm locked back in that hospital room again. I thought to myself as Damien took a different turn from the path as we headed away from the hospital.

"Where are we going, Damien? The hospital's back that way." I stated while pointing behind us as he quietly chuckled before smiling down at me. The further we got, the more the flowers grew in sizes and shapes along with the trees which stood tall. It didn't take long before he stopped at the bottom of a hill even though the path kept going. "Is this it?" I inquired while looking up at him as he shook his head with a smile before helping me put on his jacket. "What's this for?"

"It's a little safety measure in case your hospital gown opens up in the back. Now, would you like a piggyback ride or would you prefer that I carried you?" He questioned with a mischievous glint in his eyes as I quietly pursed my lips together. Was he serious right now? This guy is off his rockers if he thinks that I'm going to let him give me a piggyback ride. "Okay, I'll choose for you since it's taking you forever to decide." He stated happily while squatting down in front of me with his back my way. "Come on."

"Are you serious?" I asked while staring down at him as he looked back at me before nodding. "Is this the only way up?" I added as he nodded again.

"It's easier plus if I fall, you'll land on me instead of the other way around. I'll be gentle with you." He stated while smiling back at me as I pursed my lips together again before sighing.

"Pinky promise?" Quietly holding out my right pinky finger towards him, I was surprised when he entwined our pinkies.

"I promise." He stated as I quietly climbed onto his back before his hands went under my thighs to hold me in place. As he stood up straight, I quickly wrapped my arms around his neck in fear that I might fall. "Hold on." He added while quietly climbing the hill as I buried my face into his warm back. For some odd reason, this felt so familiar yet I couldn't quite place why. "Rose?" Damien called while gently squeezing my thighs as I quietly hummed in response. "Welcome to the Sacred Land of the Wolves." He stated as I peeped over his shoulder at the large town below us with people walking amongst the streets greeting one another.  Tall brick buildings lined each street, leading up to a giant wooden mansion that had the most vibrant greenery lining the large circular driveway. "What do you think of it?" He inquired while gently lowering me to the ground as I continued to admire the beauty.

"It's beautiful." I whispered, knowing that soon, it'd just be a memory in my head when I left.

[~~~]

To any and all readers, hello!

It's been awhile since I updated this book, but I plan on getting updates out as soon as possible.

Also, if many of you have been keeping tabs on Wattpad, you'll notice that they're installing a new system where you have to pay to read a book or the rest of the chapters except for the sample chapters.

What's your opinion on that?

Andrea ♡

P.S. If you're into supernatural stories like this one, I'll be adding more books like it soon. Keep an eye out for them. Also this chapter isn't edited.