DINNER (Iselen P.O.V)

The royal palace's gardens are really beautiful: whole hectares of vegetation, trees, flowers, ponds and gazebos where you can sit and enjoy the views. The gardens are so big that we've had to circle the perimeter riding our horses but it was well worth the effort, it's been ages since the last time I took my mare out for a walk and the ride has done Deva and me good. Prince Nandi is a skilled horseman and his grey thoroughbred horse makes my girl look dull by comparison but Deva has been faster in the little race we did to come back to the palace and she's won a beautiful fresh flower collar and an extra ration of oats, in addition to a complete brushing with the expert hands of the King's stable boy. Everybody has praised my girl and she seemed aware of that since she's been trotting through the gardens with her head up and wagging her tail proudly. It's been a lovely morning and even the king has drop by to say hello and hold my hand again with a kind smile on his face.

The whole Court is around us, ladies and gentlemen walk along the garden paths and soldiers are watching the perimeter from the walls and terraces but Nandi was right: it's easier to talk privately here since nobody follows us close... besides the kids with the parasols that are always nipping at our heels. But we don't need them under a gazebo while we take refreshment and servants leave after putting some glasses of fruit juice on the table. I lean back on the golden cushions that contrast with my light green dress enjoying the views and the good weather, it isn't so hot today. A young tall man with dark hair wearing bright yellow silk comes closer and bows respectfully. Unexpectedly, the prince gets tensed and a forced smile spread across his lips:

- Kabir, is something wrong?

- The King wants to know if you're free for dinner – the boy answers with a sweet tone of voice.

- I'll have dinner with him, the princess of Agartha has a previous engagement and won't be able to join us.

- All right Your Highness, thank you – he bows again before leaving us. He hasn't looked at me, he was all focused on the young prince that sighs sadly.

- What's the matter? I get the impression that you don't like him.

- No, no, it's not that. Kabir is the Chamberlain, he's in charge of the palace's servants: he monitors, supervises and guides them so they fulfil their obligation and keep the royal family rooms in perfect condition, he also organizes parties and ceremonies and makes sure that our guests have everything they want. I see him every day and he's only a few years older than me so I've known him my whole life.

- What's the problem then?

- He's... because of his job Kabir is very close to my father, he has his complete trust. Unfortunately, that means he's playing for the opposing team. I mean that the Court is split into two factions: the ones who support the King and the ones who support me and if you're a member of his team you can't play with mine. So, in theory, I can't get on well with Kabir and we are condemned to hate each other, we can't be friends. But what's ridiculous and annoying is the fact that this war only exists in the mind of the courtiers, I get along with my father and I don't seek his throne... sometimes I feel like running away from this kingdom before becoming its king...

- Intrigues of the Court... I understand... I've been victim of them too and I've spent half of my live trying to avoid them...

- At least you got out of them thanks to Ruby... I envy you – I smile remembering my Sorceress. Now that I see how miserable Nandi is I realize that I did the right choice when I ran off with her – Would you like to take a boat ride on the lake? I'll row and, since the little boat has a parasol, we won't need any servant with us.