Chapter 29

I sat down in biology on Monday morning in a new room, surrounded by new faces. Now that I'd been confirmed as an old soul, Leclair had ordered me to be removed from Lydia's home-room, as well as my classes with other scholarship students. My timetable was still the same, but Theo sat at my right instead Rhea, and there was no holding back the abundance of supernatural references.

It quickly became clear why the scholarship recipients had been separated from the other students, and it had less to do with our scholarship evaluations and more with everyone else simply attempting to keep their own secrets. Supernatural terms were thrown about the rowdy classroom like paper airplanes, and even now, I only understood about a third of them.

All of my classes included Gabby, which I was thankful for. Theo was in two, and Jackson and Gabe in another. 

My classes with Theo were by far the most entertaining- and exhausting.

As soon as I sat down in a middle seat, Theo perched on the desk beside me. He didn't waste a moment before he began ardently grilling me for any sordid details of my date with Lucas- if it could even be called a date. I relinquished a few details, but nothing seemed to satisfy Theo.

I groaned, laying my head on the desk. "Nothing like that happened. We just talked."

He scoffed, leaning closer. "He took you to an isolated cabin in the forest. And I saw the way he was looking at you. There's no way he didn't try to jump your bones."

"No, he was a perfect gentleman."

He looked disbelieving, which caused Gabby to elbow him from his other side. "She's telling the truth, Theo. Not all guys have the same unrestrained libido as an arrogant jock werewolf."

He winked at her. "Just because it's unrestrained doesn't mean that I don't know what to do with it."

Gabby rolled her eyes and shoved him again until he moved from the seat. She quickly took up the spot beside me, her face alit with a sunny - and intimidating - eagerness.

She rested her face in her hands and smiled, eyes glazed. "Isla has a soulmate. She's told me a bit of what it's like, but she's only been reincarnated once. What was it like when you finally saw him?"

I hated the interrogation-like expressions of those around me, but hopefully if I yielded around people as well-circulated as Gabby and Theo, I'd only have to answer once.

"I didn't instantly want to leap into his arms, if that's what you were thinking. It was more like an instinct. I just knew him." I struggled to explain.

That earned a few romantic sighs around the room. Gabby pressed on, "What else? Did he tell you about your past?"

Actually, Lucas had seemed oddly cagey when I'd brought up our history, or at least, what small part I knew of it. I smiled tensely. "No, but it's not like we're short on time to talk about it."

I was thankful our professor chose that moment to stroll into the room, cutting off Gabby's next question. He was a tall, robust man with more hair than skin seen on his face, and was introduced to me by Gabby as Professor Periwal. He didn't waste a second with introductions, or even seem to notice my presence- which was a pleasant change. It startled me when he promptly began lecturing on the exact same topic we'd been studying in my other biology class.

Theo must have seen my surprise. He chuckled under his breath and leaned over from behind me. "What? You thought we'd be analysing unicorn blood and discussing mermaid genitalia? It's just a normal class, matchstick."

The rest of my classes went by in similar rhythms, with the only class any different to my old one being Literature. I was presented with a new book list, including titles such as Dracula, His Dark Materials, and various modern interpretations of Grimm fairy tales. I was looking forward to the kind of classroom debates that those would undoubtedly draw.