forty one

lea | alec

lea | alec

"This is my girlfriend, Lea," Alec introduces her to his friends. It was Alec's going away party. Lea has heard about his friends before but, meeting them in person was different. It's a strange feeling to meet your boyfriend's friends - you want to be cool enough to impress them while still being yourself. 

Jake, Casper, Rose, Dylan, Kathryn, she whispers repeatedly under her breath to remember their names.   

"The college girlfriend, of course. It's so nice to finally meet you! We've heard things about you, Lea," Dylan says teasing Alec.

"Good things I hope," Lea smiles, her cheeks turning red. Alec holds her by the waist and looks at her proudly. Like he's happy to show her off to his friends. 

"Hey!" Bash greets them with a smile from the door. He walks towards them and says, "I want you guys to meet someone. This is Serena," he introduces the girl next to him. With the way Bash and Serena were blushing, Lea could tell that they were together. 

Lea and Alec look at each other with a surprised face, Bash has a girlfriend?

"Congrats on your graduation, Alec!" Serena adds. 

"Thank you, Serena," Alec replies with a smile. "It's nice to meet you," he shakes her hand.

"Can I get you a drink, babe?" Bash asks Serena and she nods. He playfully punches Alec's shoulder and whispers while walking away, "Thanks for letting me invite her bro."

Alec smiles, "Of course." 

Lea turns to Alec with a wide grin on her face, "You knew about her and you didn't tell me?"

"He told me that he was inviting a friend. I'm just as shocked as you are, Lea."

"It's cute. They look cute together, don't you think?" Lea smiles.

Alec was worried that Lea would feel left out at the party so he tries his best to make her comfortable. Lea doesn't know anyone other than Bash but she makes it look like she has known his friends her whole life. Alec finds it amazing that Lea can start a conversation with almost anyone considering the fact that Lea always said that she was an introvert by nature.

Alec gets busy welcoming his other friends. It was nice to see Alec talk to his friends about graduating and going away to college. Like a chapter of his life was ending and this was the start of a new beginning.  

He would be lying if he said that he wouldn't change anything about this chapter of his life - there were a lot of things he would change - but at the moment, he feels grateful for his friends, the people he met, and the lessons he learned on the way. The one thing he was most grateful for was Lea

She was, without doubt, the best thing that happened to him. And he was more than grateful.

Long-distance was something that bothered both of them. They hadn't spent much time together before but, the thought of not being able to see each other every day hurt, considering the fact that they spent the last two weeks together. They learned a lot of things they didn't know about each other before and every passing day was almost too good to be true.

She helped him pack up everything for university. Lea would be lying if she said that she was not insecure about the thought of Alec moving to a new place and meeting new people but she never said it out loud. Both of them promised to make their relationship work and agreed to meet each other at least once a month. And thank god for technology, they can text and face-time each other whenever they want. In a way, it was technology that brought them together. 

"I'm going to miss you so much, Alec," Lea says, tears streaming down her face. She promised herself not to cry because she wanted to send him away happily but saying goodbye to him brought forth a fresh set of emotions that she was trying to bottle up. 

"I'm going to miss you too, baby," Alec replies, pulling her in an embrace. They hold each other tight like it is their last day together. It was sad, but it was the kind of sadness that gave you hope. It's always nice to look forward to something, right?

It felt like a happy ending. A happy ending of a chapter of his life. 

***

hey babe. i reached an hour ago and can i just say that everyone is so welcoming here?

my roommate kevin moved in yesterday and we're going out for drinks now. we're walking around the campus and it feels too good to be true. 

how are things with you?

hey alec. that's so nice. tell him i said hi! i'd love to see pictures. 

leigh and i came out shopping. she's going out on a date with this guy she met at a bar and it's so cute to finally see her get excited about someone considering the fact that she has been single all her life haha. it's funny when your single friends give the best relationship advice. she says, "coaches don't play."

oh and she says hi. 

enough about me, tell me more about harvard.

Just like that, Lea watches another conversation with Alec - the boy she accidentally texted one night and fell in love with - begin again.

***

A/N: The end. 

I had a wonderful journey writing about Alec and Lea and I learned a lot of things in the process. I laughed with them, I cried with them. It took me three years to finish this book and if you've come this far, just know that I love you very much. 

I started writing this book when I was on vacation in Thailand (I feel like people get the best ideas when they're on the go). I was at a restaurant and they were playing a female rendition of Chris Brown's forever - it's a pretty cool song (Office fans, where you at?). And there was this line, "It's like I've been waiting my whole life for this one night," that inspired this book. I wrote the entire first chapter that night and the story kinda wrote itself. 

I'd love to know your thoughts on the book and I'm open to constructive criticism.

The support I've gotten for this book was more than I'd expected.Thank you so much reading <3

Shameless self-promo: If you liked my writing, check out my other work 'City of Stars'. Thanks in advance!

Nova x