Meant To Be

"I never truly understood Julong's fascination in you until now. I thought my brother was better than that. Not once he paid attention to any of the concubines in the palace, even with all the girls chasing him around. Women were never his interest, he focused on military matters and strategies more than anything else. That was youngest brother's forte, he was always fascinated with weapons and wars. But now I understand." He loosened a sigh. "You could captivate any man's heart with just a single glance."

That's hardly the truth, I thought. No man should be captivated just by vanity alone.

He began to read, and I began to pay attention. Soon, we soaked into a world of our own forgetting about the world around us, before we know it, the hours passed without us paying attention. We were so engrossed with each other's company that minutes felt like seconds, hours felt like minutes, and the night ate away without our realization.

I was as immersed with him just as he was with me.

Prince Hoon got up and peeked over the window. "Goodness, is it night already?"

He turned to me, while I blinked at him with my tired stinging eyes.

He smiled. "You looked tired, I should probably walk you home."

I nodded, I would be lying if I say, I'm not ready to go home. I flipped the book's cover back to a close and began putting the stacks of books away when I felt prince Hoon behind me, he dropped a coat on my shoulders. "It's cold outside, Jasmine. You should cover up, so you won't catch a cold."

I turned to him, cheeks red and heated, I've never felt so much affection from a man I just met hours before. "Thank you."

My prince reached for my hand and held them without hesitation. "let's go, Jasmine."

The second prince announced he was not satisfied with my living condition despite the fact he had me housed in one of the most luxurious chambers in the consort's courtyard. With his frail nature wearing him out during the long walk, the second prince had no time to spare for walking back and forth.

He declared I will be migrating to the palace, closer to him where he could often visit me throughout the day, permitted by his busy schedule.

He lifted my hand and kissed it gently. "I'll have you moved to a far better hall fit for a prince's betrothed. Much more luxurious than this."

"You spoil me, prince Hoon." I crooned.

"Irrelevant." He purred. "I will shower you with everything a princess should have."

I writhed in delight, smiling at his promises that caressed my senses. Every woman dreamed of a prince who'd spoil them as a bride. While here's mine, standing in front of me, accepting me for who I am.

"Thank you, my prince." I murmured shyly.

Perhaps, the prince found my reaction a bit too charming and a bit too titillating that his wide smile broke upon his handsome face, he couldn't help but lean in to mark his woman with his lips. Prince Hoon kissed me not in the lips, but on my cheeks.

The following day I was relocated to the more appropriate hall inside the main palace. I found out this is where the wives of crown prince Yuan reside. I will be sharing this hall with the crown prince's wives. My nerves ruffled my anxiety. The first wife is a princess from the neighboring kingdom, while the second wife is the daughter of the eighth price. They both have royal blood and I don't know the likeliness of noble women sharing this hall with a farmer's daughter.

"Don't worry about them." Bailing commented beside me, she knew what's been bothering me. She warned me about this, and I dreaded for this day to come.

"How do you expect me not to worry, I will be living with these women from now on."

"Ignore them as much as you can."

"I have a feeling that would be difficult to do."

I stepped inside an elegant room, immediately assaulted by the intoxicating scent of freshly picked flowers. The room was covered with plum blossoms, peonies, lilies, roses, and mostly jasmines. Prince Hoon had rose petals and jasmines scattered on the floor for my bare toes to bury in. It is as if, the prince had moved the garden I loved so much into my new bedroom. I gasped barely able to keep myself together.

"This is beautiful!" I exhaled breathlessly, my eyes wandered into the man stood at the center of the room and admired him the most. His smile was loving and it was all for me to adore.

He loosened a laughter. "I knew you would like it."

I walked up to him, closer and more comfortable than I was yesterday. His arms spread open and I willingly walked into them, he rested his arms gently on the smalls of my back, holding me as though I was a fragile object he could break so easily.

"So, what do you think?" He said murmuring.

My glittering eyes poured into his, "it was just like a dream."

He chuckled, rewarded by my response, my reaction was just as he anticipated. "I'm glad you liked it. My future wife deserved nothing but the best! I will make sure you only get the best and the finest from now on."

My betrothed reeled me closer to his chest. Our bodies touched, sharing each other's heat. I didn't mind it at all, I am to be his wife, and he's to be my husband. It's just a matter of time before this union comes into fruition.

His eyes flicked to my lips, and I knew right then what he wanted. My future husband entertained the thought of kissing his bride for the first time. I smiled invitingly, I would let him kiss me, but he loosened a sharp breath, deciding to save it for later.