Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Denial doesn't cut it-Part 4

Chapter 4

"Whoa! Who's that hot number?" A sturdy hand landed on Gray's shoulder. Without looking, he knew it belonged to his best friend and co-star Carson Wells. Since Gray wasn't sure how to answer such a simple question, he went with the barest of truths.

"Just a reporter."

"What?" Carson choked as he sipped his beer. "You hit on a reporter? You don't even talk to reporters. You hate reporters, man. How'd this one get her clutches into the mighty Gray Daymon?"

"A misunderstanding. On my part. No clutches. She wasn't even interested."

"Hah! I saw the sparks flying between you two. It's was like the Fourth of July over here. She was definitely interested. They always are. How'd you ditch her? In fact, why'd you ditch her?" He paused a second before continuing. "That girl was hot. Bet you coulda had a nice little one-night tumble with her."

"Shut up, Carson. I told you, it was a misunderstanding. As you pointed out, I don't do reporters. In any way. We talked, cleared it up, and she left. End of story."

Deep down, Gray knew it was more than that. He'd almost kissed the damned woman on those tempting pink lips. A kiss would have stirred up the same old shit storm. Only this one would have been bigger, he was certain. Messing around with a reporter? Fuck. He should be grateful she backed off.

"Ah. I see. Explains why you couldn't unglue your eyes from that luscious ass of hers." Gray glared at him. Carson shrugged and took another sip of beer.

"Maybe I'll go see if I can get Ms. Hot Reporter to cozy up to me for a bit. Seeing as you're not interested and all." Carson gave Gray a mischievous grin.

He was probably dead serious. Knowing Carson, he'd track her down and try his damnedest to get Eve Brock into his bed tonight. The guy was practically the poster child for the word playboy. He only needed to cast a wink at a woman and she would come running, dropping her panties along the way. He probably had more sex in a week than Gray had all of last year.

Carson had recently broken up with his latest flame, Elexys Broward, and he was on the prowl for his next conquest. The idea he might chase down Eve didn't sit well with Gray. In fact, it made him quite uneasy. He felt a streak of protectiveness toward her, which was ridiculous, given he'd known her for less than an hour.

What should I care if Carson wants to try his luck?

That was the thing. He did care. He wanted Carson to stay the fuck away from his gorgeous reporter.

His? Oh, God. What the hell am I thinking? I don't want Carson playing cat and mouse with her until I figure out what the hell my attraction is to this woman.

Deny all he wanted, the truth was he was definitely attracted. The proof was still straining the fit of his pants.

"Keep your hands off her. Stay away from her. I won't tell you again. Just stay the fuck away from her." Gray had never spoken this way about a woman he barely knew. Ever.

Carson's mischievous smile grew large at the revelation. "Whaddaya know? Daytime's elusive heartthrob actually has the hots for...a reporter. Got it, hands off. This is gonna be fun." His teasing earned him a nasty look from Gray in return. "Okay. C'mon, let's go get a drink."

"Sure. Why not?" Perhaps that would make him forget this unsettled feeling rolling around inside him. Gray decided a drink was exactly what he needed right now.

****

Across the venue, Eve replayed her run-in with Gray. Her brain and emotions were effectively scrambled.

"Get a grip." She scolded herself, mentally shoving jangled nerves onto the back burner and trying to get her head back on the task at hand.

I need to get in control. Becoming all worked up over Gray Daymon is ridiculous. Even if he is 6-foot-something, drop-dead sexy and oh-so-hot I might catch fire simply thinking about him. Eve Brock doesn't get worked up over men. Certainly not actors.

Eve'd had her share love interests, including a recent steady boyfriend—even though that relationship hadn't worked out so well. No one had ever gotten her blood pumping so hard and fast like this over an almost-kiss and a crazy argument, though.

Taking a deep breath, she studied the crowd for a someone to interview. One more good interview and she could go home.

Aha! The hunky security guy standing next to one of the barriers has potential. Maybe he can tell me what he's seen going on behind the scenes of this infernal party.

Sporting her best journalist's smile, she headed in the direction of Mr. Security Guy.

****

Forget her? Aw come on...you know that ain't gonna happen. Who's gonna cave first? Gray or Eve? I want to hear from you! Please leave a comment (or maybe even a vote)!