Chapter 9

"Oh, y/n! So nice to finally speak to you again." Mark says with a smug grin that's all too familiar. You hate it.
"Get that smirk off your face." you say.
"What's gotten into you?" He asks, walking forward.
"Nothing." You answer, shifting from foot to foot nervously as he strides towards you. The confidence he exudes is intimidating but irritating, coming from him.
"Then why did you stop talking to me when high school came around? We were best friends in elementary."

"Because you changed, Mark. Not in a good way." You say, crossing your arms. You try to stand your ground though you're sure he can read your emotions through your worried eyes. You're helpless, which wasn't a strange feeling to have around Mark.

"I changed.. and you didn't?" he scoffs, "... crazy lesbian."

Your eyes widen."How do you know about that?! You go to this high school!"
"I know people, y/n. Word gets around. Doesn't matter, I know you're straight. You like Namjoon." Mark says with an annoyed chuckle, he shakes his head in disbelief then rolls his eyes.
"What do you have against him? He's better than you'll ever be." you say.
"You're kidding, right? That motherfucker is desperate and will keep secrets from you that will break your relationship."
"Awh, is Mark jealous?" you pout, mockingly. "We're not even dating, jackass...that's besides the point. I came to talk to you about the headlines in the newspaper." you say.

"What about them?" Mark raises an eyebrow, that smug smirk making a reappearance. You gag.
"Why are you blackmailing Namjoon and I?" You ask. You take a powerful step forward.

Show him who's boss, y/n, you got this.

"So you won't be together, that's why. You deserve better." he says, Mark places a cold hand on your shoulder and rubs it, an attempt at seeking comfort; something you'll never feel around him.

"If you don't stop spreading rumours, I'll expose you to the principal and the School District Manager." You say, Mark stares at you with a look of pity then wraps his arms around you.

You freeze.

He holds you tight and whispers in your ear.
"That's not necessary, babygirl." He says. He strokes your hair. You squirm a bit, awkwardly trying to escape under pressure. You feel his grasp around you tighten and you begin to sweat in fear.

It's Mark. He can literally turn me into a pretzel. How the hell am I going to get out of this?

Suddenly the door slams open. You both turn your head to face it.

"Let go of her, Mark."
"What do you want, Pervert?"

Namjoon curses under his breath. He walks up to the both of you and pushes Mark's chest with both his hands so you're separated from him.

"I told you to let go of her." Namjoon says sternly. You watch Namjoon as he breathes heavily in frustration, secretly clenched fists ready for Mark's reaction.

"Don't fucking touch me with your filthy hands." Mark says with a clenched jaw. This must be stare down of the century because they have not lost eye contact since Namjoon shoved Mark's chest.
"Don't touch you?" Namjoon smirks, suddenly his expression changes to a look of vengeance. He swings a strong fist at Mark.

Really hard.
And punches him in the eye.

Oh... shit.

Did he just punch Mark to save me?

Mark falls to the floor and groans.. You subtly bite your lip as Namjoon stands victorious in front of Mark on the ground, breathing deeply, a stare that could cut glass in his eyes. It's hot.
Namjoon slowly takes a few steps back.

"Did I just..." Namjoon starts.
"You just punched Mark Yi En Tuan in the eye." You say, shocked. Mark is a star athlete in the school, on nearly every sports team.

A second later, Namjoon comes to realization and grabs your wrist as tight as he can without causing you pain. "We have to go now." You both start running as Mark stands up.

"Bad decision, y/n..." You hear Mark yell from inside the printer room.

"Allllll the girls swoon over me, and you actually had a chance." He says, you continue running.