16: She's Clean

The room was silent.

There was nothing but the sound of the wind entering through the slightly opened glass window.

She was sitting on the bed. The pillows and sheets unwrinkled, untouched.

Two days had gone by since Natsu had her locked up in one of the Main House’s rooms, under surveillance due to the attempted murder of the heir. Until there was clear evidence that she was innocent, she was to remain as good as a bird locked in a cage.

Hearing the sound of keys clanking and the door squeaking open, Lisanna turned to the person who found time to visit her.

“Are you the watcher this time?” She asked, her eyes set on Bickslow as he closed the door shut.

“Yes, Natsu instructed me,” he answered, pulling a wooden seat and sat face to face with her.

Not wanting to look at him, she set her attention to the window.

“You probably think I did it,” her voice was quiet and blunt, “You don’t have to come see me because of pity.”

He stared at her blank face.

Bickslow always knew it when she was acting tough and cold. The girl never failed to make it obvious.

“No, I don’t.”

“Why?” she still wasn’t looking at him.

“I believe it was poison, but I don’t think you did it,” he answered surely.

Lisanna let out a smile. It was meant to look unfriendly, but instead it looked rather miserable.

“But I gave Lucas the cake,” she started, turning her head to him, “It was the last thing he ate before he…”

She stopped, remembering how the little boy looked like when he was down on the hall’s floor.

“I don’t believe it,” Bickslow said, “I know it was just wrong timing…and you were the one who was blamed for it.”

She started to shake her head as her eyes slowly moistened.

“Lucas…,” she spoke with suppressed sobs, “He is dead because of me.”

He looked at her with confusion.

So no one has told her yet.

“Lisanna-“

“Another child is…because of me…he…”

“He is not dead.”

As if he lifted a great amount of heaviness off her shoulder, her head instantly shoot up as her eyes widened at him.

“What?”

Then suddenly, the door opened again.

The eldest of the Strauss’ came in. Seeing her, Bickslow stood up and went to her aid.

“Mirajane, are you well?” he asked, “Does Laxus know you’re here?”

She shook her head weakly. Mira hasn’t completely regained all her energy yet.

“Bickslow, could you please wait outside? I need to speak to my sister,” she gently spoke.

.

.

The door shut tightly.

And Lisanna wasn’t holding her head up to face her sister.

“I heard about what happened,” Mirajane started as she took careful steps toward the other.