201

Mary Adams

It was nearly eleven at night when I heard the phone ring on our bedside table. Ben being the deep sleeper he is, doesn't even wake up to it.

I glared at the clock as the landline rang obsessively on the wooden surface a few inches from my head. Who would be calling at the hour? I rubbed my eyes a bit and propped myself up in the warmth of the sheets, reaching over I grab the phone.

"Hello?" I murmur while keeping my eyes shut, half asleep. I'm am quick to hear the sounds of a baby crying.

"M-Mary? I-its Harry." I hear the low accented voice.

Immediately my eyes opened and I sat up in the bed more alert.

"Harry? What's wrong?" I lean against the headboard while keeping the phone pressed to my ear.

"I- I don't know what to d-do." He says in panic, stuttering through the phone.

"What do you mean? Harry where's Amelia?" I ask while my chest was starting to hurt.

"She's in surgery. S-she had the baby but their were c-complications and now I'm worried and the baby is crying and I don't know what to do because she isn't here with me to tell me how to stop it and I don-"

"Harry please calm down." I say to console but he keeps talking super quickly.

My daughter had a baby I didn't even know about it.

"I can't do this without Amelia and if she never comes out of the operation room then I don't know what I'll do because this baby needs her mum and if she can't be here for Briar then Briar will just have me and I'm not enough for her a-"

"Harry." I say sternly, making him stop. "What hospital are you in?" I ask. He was so frazzled and just spitting out words.

"St. Peterson Hospital." He says quickly.

"Okay, listen to me. You need to relax, okay? I know this is all scary but right not you need to focus on your baby and not think about Amelia. I'm sure the doctors are doing everything they can and all though this is hard, their is nothing you can do. Focus on getting the baby to stop crying." I explain to him, trying to keep my own emotions under control and unreadable though the phone.

"I-I don't know how, to make her stop." He says quietly, sounding so weak and broken.

"Bounce her a little, talk to her." I instruct.

"But she's a baby, she d-doesn't know what I'm saying." He murmurs.

"It doesn't matter what you say, babies just like to hear the sounds of a calming voice. Talk to her softly, your voice will be familiar to her." I tell him softly.

"O-okay.. I'll try that." He murmurs.

"We will be down there in forty five minutes." I say while taking the blankets off of me.

"Okay, thank you." He says quietly though the phone.

I hang up the phone and let go of the breath I was holding, feeling that heavy nervous pressure in my chest and my throat scratchy and dry. My nerves were through the roof knowing Amelia was in surgery. I was surprised Harry called, I was surprised he talked to me.

"Ben-" I shake his arm to wake him up. "We got to go." I say more urgently.

Harry Styles

I hang up the phone, sticking it back in my pocket while holding Briar in my right arm then back in both. Her crying was constant and when I looked down at her, her face was all distressed. Her eyes were squeezed shut and her small mouth was hung open as she was swaddled in the pink blanket.