First Act, Scene Two

Emmy's lips pulled into a smile that captivated everyone even more. The quiet and mysterious woman won the heart of their Master. How could they not be happy for the occasion?

In unison, every soldier stood up and knelt down on one knee, facing Emmy. They all bowed their heads down and loudly shouted together, their pledge of loyalty.

"Welcome Lady Emmy. We pledge ourselves to thee as we pledge ourselves to Master Seoras. With our bodies we will be your shield. With our strength, we will be your sword. Our lives belong to you as they belong to Master Seoras."

Emmy could only sit still in a state of shock. From the moment Seoras introduced her as "his woman." She knew it was coming, but didn't expect him to be so direct with it. Especially in front of his mother and most of his men. But when the soldiers in the hall all pledged their loyalty to her because of Seoras, she could feel their sincerity. It touched her dead heart and almost made her forget that Seoras and her were lying. They were only acting out a play and she was Seoras matchmaking shield.

"Please stand up." Emmy said softly.

"You... you!" Margaret could only say as she was so mad that her son. How could he be so careless with his words and actions. How dare he announce the little slut as his woman so openly. By next morning, everyone would know that he has a woman by his side for the first time.

Margaret turned her anger towards Emmy after Emmy spoke.

"You! Shut up!" Margaret yelled as she pointed at Emmy. "Who are you to command Master Seoras's soldiers."

Before Emmy could answer, Seoras came to her defense.

"She is MY woman. She can command anyone on MY land." Seoras said as he looked over at the woman who gave birth to him with no feelings. "I gave her the right to it. Anyone who insults her, insults me. Anyone who looks down on her, looks down on me. Anyone who goes against her, goes against me. And you know me, Lady Margaret. You know my temperament."

Margaret could only shut her mouth as she lowers her hand that once pointed at Emmy. Her fingers curls into a fist as she endures her anger and hides her emotions.

How dare he! How dare her own son go against her! How dare he treat her this way in front of everyone. Making her lose face in front of his people, but also the three young Ladies she invited to match make with him. He wouldn't know a good thing if it hit him! With his announcement, he too, embarrassed the three young Ladies. Their faces were lowered and flushed red. Everyone knew why they were there, but Master Seoras just dismissed them and didn't even acknowledge them when they entered the hall. He looked over them as if they were the nothing but air. But to the woman with poison marking on her face, he looked at her with warmth and treated her like she was his whole world.

Their grudge against Emmy grew that very moment that Seoras announced to the whole room that Emmy was his woman. They came from noble houses with long and deep connections to the government and the King. Their ancestors help build and shape the country and yet, to Seoras, they were nothing.

Their background, their connections, their beauty, their education, their status, their wealth. Everything that made them proper young Ladies, meant nothing to him. His one statement, crushed their dignity and made them less than dirt.

The whole dinner was supposed to be a joyous occasion, in welcoming Seoras back from his journey. However after the awkward moment with Lady Margaret, everyone spoke in low and hushed tones as everyone quietly and quickly ate dinner.

During the whole dinner time, Emmy was quite attentive towards Seoras. Making sure he had enough to eat and drink. She didn't say much to him, because she knew his character very well. He didn't like talkative people who say everything and nothing at the same time. He didn't like to be bothered by annoyances. He didn't like to be touched, nor did he like to be looked at. With the limited things she could do, she did them very well.

She would place his preferred food in his plate and made sure his wine cup was always filled. She was his captive, on their journey together, but it didn't mean that she didn't observe him, like he observed her. She took notice of this likes and dislikes. Remembering them so she wouldn't do or say anything that could cause her any punishment or death.

All her actions were noted by Seth, because it was his job to serve Seoras, but with Emmy taking over, he could only stand behind them and move from one foot to the other nervously. Just in case she angered Master Seoras. But to his surprise. There was no mistakes made. She did everything perfectly and elegantly, that there were no room to reprimand her.

After dinner, Emmy stood up and curtsied towards Seroas before taking her leave. She did not stay to cause anymore trouble for Lady Margaret and the three young Ladies. Whatever issue Seroas has with his Mother, is no business of hers. Her role was to be his matchmaking shield and she fulfilled that role during dinner. Anything that happened afterwards, Seroas would have to take care of it himself. He is Lord and Master in the castle and the whole city. He could take care of the four ladies with just a few words. She will not stick her neck out for him, more than what is necessary.

Emmy knew deep down, with the tag of "Seroas's woman" over her head, she would have to pick up that role whenever it was needed to be his shield. She would have many more opportunities later to confront more matchmaking mothers and beautiful, talented young ladies.