chapter thirty

The holidays came faster than Evelyn was anticipating. She had barely finished packing by the final day of term and wasn't at all ready for her trip to Albania. She had spent the majority of her time at school researching Albania as Tom had not given her any more information. She didn't meet with Tom or Professor Dumbledore again; instead, she kept to herself, barely finding the time to speak with her friends.

She packed inside a large camping rucksack, unsure of how they would be travelling or where they would be staying, she decided to play it safe. Her bag was packed with all the essentials as well as several books in case she had time to practice her spells since she was falling behind in her NEWT classes.

She had arranged to meet Tom at the Leaky Cauldron in London, where they would take the Floo System to Albania. Evelyn had never before used the Floo System however she knew that it was likely to be the least risky thing that she and Tom would be doing during their time together over the holidays. Travelling by the Floo Network would probably be the safest thing she would ever do with Tom, and even so, there were risks within the Floo Network.

Evelyn found the train journey uneventful; she sat alone in a compartment, watching as the Scottish hillside faded into office blocks. As the train pulled up to the London station, she rose from her seat, throwing her backpack over her shoulder and exiting the train onto the busy platform. She bustled through the crowds of people, clutching her backpack to prevent anyone from taking it, clutching her backpack to prevent anyone from taking it when suddenly the whole world spun and she fell to the floor with a thud.

When she finally had enough energy to lift her head up, she realized that she was no longer in the crowded train station but instead she found herself in an unfamiliar setting. She felt a strong hand pull up her shoulder, "Where am I?" She asked, looking around until she found a familiar face, Tom.

"Come on we're late." He said impatiently, turning hot on his heel and entering the Leaky Cauldron. Evelyn quickly followed him, sticking close to him in the unfamiliar surrounding as they walked towards the bar. As they got closer to the bar, the smell of alcohol pounced on Evelyn's sense.

"Welcome to the Leaky Cauldron! How may I help you?" Questioned a cheerful elderly man from behind the bar.

"We're here to use the Floo Network," Replied Tom bluntly.

"Albania is it?" Tom nodded. "Right this way," The old man led Tom and Evelyn towards a large stone fireplace in the corner of the pub. "I assume you've both travelled by Floo Network before,"

Before Evelyn could muster a response, Tom nodded, sending a chill of terror down her spine. How on earth did Evelyn travel by Floo? She had never done it before and had no idea what to do.

"I'll go first," Tom said glancing at Evelyn before stepping into the fireplace in one swift step. "The Wizard Inn, Albania," Tom said clearly and carefully, before dropping a grey powder and being engulfed in emerald flames.

Evelyn let out a quick gasp as Tom vanished into thin air. "Not scared are you?" Said the old man with a grin, ushering Evelyn into the fireplace.

"No, of course not," She lied. Evelyn dropped a pile of the grey powder causing a large flame to engulf her and transport her to Albania. As the flame disappeared, she took a step forward into the Inn, scanning the room until she found Tom, stood over the desk.

Evelyn quickly hustled towards the desk and stood beside Tom as he collected their room keys. He handed one copper key to Evelyn and took off up the wooden stairs, glancing briefly at the proud portraits of witches and wizards on the walls before continuing up the staircase. Evelyn found herself following Tom again, trailing behind him until they both stopped outside a large, oak door.

"Get changed into something warm and meet me outside with your bag in ten minutes. Don't forget your wand," He warned, leaving her and opening the door to his room, quickly closing it as soon as he was inside.

Evelyn unlocked her door with one swift movement and hurried inside, dropping her bag to the floor and glancing in the room. The room contained a small bed, neatly made, two straight-backed chairs, a washstand, a bureau--without any mirror--and a small table. There were no drapery curtains at the dormer windows, no pictures on the wall. The room lacked any signs of life. Although Evelyn supposed they would be spending more time outside, doing whatever Tom had planned for their visit.

Evelyn pulled a navy jumper over her sweater and bundled her coat around herself as though she was preparing for hibernation. She picked up her bag and flung it over her shoulder, pacing in her room until it was almost time to meet Tom. After five more minutes, she hurried down the grand staircase and headed out of the door, her heart racing with every step she took.

As soon as she noticed Tom appear behind her, her face quickly turned sour. "Why are we even here Tom?"

"We are here for business." He muttered, beginning to walk towards a dense patch of woodland.

"What business do you have in Albania?" She trailed behind him, speeding up until she was walking directly beside him.

"There's something hidden in this forest, something that I desire."

Evelyn searched her mind, exploring every memory she had until she remembered her dream. Tom was searching for a diadem. Not just any diadem, Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem. "What do you want with Rowena Ravenclaws Diadem?"

"So you figured it out, took you long enough. Why I want it is none of your business though Evelyn."

"Why am I even here then? Why do you keep stringing me along on your silly little adventures?" Tom stopped in his tracks. Had she upset him? Evelyn prepared herself to be reprimanded but nothing happened.

Tom turned to look at Evelyn, his face softening slightly. "Because, Evelyn, I need you." For a split second, Evelyn believed that Tom was fond of her until her re-opened his mouth and ruined it all. "I know that you saw the Diadem in a dream, I know you know where it is,"

"You've been using Legilimency on me again?" An immense wave of fear took over her, did he know everything?

"Of course, it's all too easy for the most part: you have a very weak padlock on your mind. Except for in one area, one zone that I cannot access."

"And that's just how it will stay Tom. If you need to know anything, ask me, don't delve into my mind without permission." She stated strongly, staring him deep in the eye.

"Well now that we have cleared everything up, can we move on?" He asked impatiently, walking ahead again.

Evelyn smiled briefly, before continuing forwards and disappearing into the dense woodlands.