Twenty-Four || Pay Attention

|| Pay Attention

     "Hello? Hello?"

     Jacy sifted through an obnoxiously large textbook, a pale blue streak of hair absently hanging at the edge of her vision.

     "Oh boy," Erica Reyes hummed across the lunch table, leaned forward with her chin in her palm. "This oughta be good."

     Although the textbook in front of Jacy appeared void of text, she was still drawn to the pages.

     "You're not going to help him out?" asked Boyd curiously, glancing back to Stiles standing on a table.

     "I can't," Jacy uttered under her breath, eyes glued to the blank pages.

     Stiles cupped his hands around his mouth, shouting to a room that ignored him. "Hello?"

     No matter how strong her will, Jacy's eyes fluttered upward.

     "You!" yelled Stiles immediately, catching her eye. "You can see me!"

     Jacy hastily shut her book, inwardly cursing as she snagged her belongings and darted for the door.

     "Wait!" Stiles called out, climbing down from the lunch table and going after her.

     Although Erica could barely catch her breath through bouts of laughter, Boyd reached out for Stiles as he attempted to pass and snagged at his shirt, allowing Jacy at least a moment extra to run.

     He owed her that much.

     Stiles, oblivious of Erica and Boyd in the same way everyone in the cafeteria was of him, moved the moment the strange pressure released, slipping out of the busy cafeteria.

     At a crossroads in the hallway, the faint clicking of heeled boots sent him in the right direction.

     "Please wait!" he called, headed after the girl damn near jogging down the rows of blue and gray lockers.

     Jacy stopped at her locker, hand fumbling a password she herself couldn't remember.

     "What are you doing? You can't let this happen again."

     Jacy's brows furrowed, stuffing her empty textbook into an uncharacteristically bare locker.

     That wasn't how it happened.

     "Let what happen again?" she asked, turning to Stiles.

     "Me, Jace. You can't let me drift again," Stiles pleaded. "You're at the high school."

     Jacy's eyes flickered up and around, very present in the high school hall. "Yeah?"

     "No, Jacy, you're not paying attention."

     A haunting chitter stirred in the back of her head, a flash of Lydia Martin tumbling down the stairs skimming her vision.

     "Hayden," she quietly said, looking down as her brows drew in. Her head lifted to Stiles. "Then where are you?"

     "You know where I am, Jace," Stiles told her. "I'm right where you left me. And I need you. I need you to push the Doctors out and come save me. I'll drift soon. I can feel it. I need you to save me again, Jacy."

     Darkness consumed the high school in a whirlwind, Jacy's face suddenly hard pressed against the freezing linoleum.

     A startled breath emitted as a near scream, brown eyes tearing open in a panic.