Chapter 16 - A Bright Sunny Day Often Brings Bad Memories

Feng Yao woke up with a start. Her eyes widened in shock as she realized where she was.

"Holy heavens, save me now!"

How could I fall asleep in the dragon's lair!?

Her small shriek made a maidservant calmly walk in. "Young Miss, are you alright?"

Feng Yao ripped the soft covers embroided with golden swirls off of her body and quickly scrambled out of bed. As she glanced around, she realized that sunlight was already brightly shining through the windows and filling the room with warmth. 

Feng Yao looked up at the maid who continued to stand there silently with a head bowed.

"How long have I been asleep?"

"It is currently past mid-noon. The Emperor's order was to allow the Young Miss to sleep for as long as needed." The maid's reply was immediate.

Feng Yao silently rubbed at her head. What was this mess that she found herself in? Why did the Emperor let her sleep in his room? Didn't he know what that signified to the others in the palace?

She let out a deep sigh. "I'll be returning back to my guest residence. Please relay my deepest thanks to His Majesty." The maid bowed at her words as she left through the double doors.

As Feng Yao began to slowly stroll along the outside pathway, her gaze flicked upwards. The sun had already begun its descent back down towards the Earth.

Well...it seems as though I've succeeded in getting His Majesty's interest...Although, it may have worked a bit too smoothly.

His interest in her was a good thing. It at least meant that she wouldn't have to worry about dying until another day. But then again...

She sighed once more. At that moment, a group of servant girls walking ahead of her came forward and deeply bowed. "Greetings to the Young Miss." 

Feng Yao was slightly startled. 

Why are they greeting me as though I am a noble woman? Has news already spread that I spent the night with the Emperor? 

Her brows creased. "No need to bow. I'm only a small guest."

"Yes, Young Miss." They bowed once again before leaving. 

...I hope I can find Mu Yun soon. I don't think I'm cut out to live in a palace.

As she got closer to her residence, she noticed someone pacing back and forth outside. Feng Yao instantly recognized his old face that looked to have aged ten years since she last saw him.

"Old man! What are you doing here?"

The imperial doctor quickly turned around at the sound of her voice. As fast as his elderly and frail body could take him, he rushed over towards where she was.

"Little girl! Are you alright? I heard that you spent the night with His Majesty!?"

She reached up to quickly silence his mouth. Making sure no one around had heard him, she whispered in his ear.

"Old man, don't you know that saying something like that could get both of us in trouble?"

He grumbled but didn't mind as she pulled him inside and away from listening ears. When he wasn't looking, she stealthily placed her fingers against his wrist. 

...His pulse has weakened again since the last I saw him. Even his body has gotten skinnier. At this point, he's barely even skin and bones. 

This isn't due to natural aging.

"Old man, are you still drinking that royal tea?"

He slowly nodded as he looked downwards. "Yes. His majesty says it's beneficial for older folks like me. Plus, it's been really helping my body."