Chapter 33

{Character in picture: Hana Mae Lee as Connie Wu}

{Song in video: OneRepublic ft. Logic - Start Again}

I hailed a taxi to go to the bar for my first day at work. Luckily, Chelsea had the same shift, since I was getting trained by her, so she was also in the taxi with me.

When we got out of the taxi, we went into the bar. Chelsea showed me where to clock in.

As we walked out of the employee room, Jeff came toward us with a grin. "Hey," he greeted.

"Hey," Chelsea and I greeted him back, smiling.

"As you probably know, you're going to get trained by Chelsea." Jeff looked over at me.

I nodded.

Chelsea showed me where they keep the different alcoholic drinks, what mixes they use, and how to shake the mixed drinks.

Pretty soon, there were customers coming in. A few men flirted with me and gave me their phone numbers, but all in all it was a fun atmosphere to be around.

Chelsea took a break as a young Asian woman came in when it wasn't as busy. She stood in front of me, and just stared without blinking.

"Hey, can I get you anything?" I asked her in a cheerful voice, although I was a little weirded out.

"Yes, Jeff." She nodded, still staring.

"You want me to get Jeff, the manager?"

"Yes, that's my boyfriend."

My eyes widened, and I held in a gasp. "Alright..." I went over toward the back, where Jeff was.

"Hey, Jeff," I said to him. "Apparently your girlfriend is here to see you." I gave him an annoyed look.

"What? I don't have a girlfriend." He gave me a confused look.

"Well, either way, she's here to see you. I'm not sure how or what you're going to say about yesterday, but I don't want any part of that."

He still had a confused look on his face. "There's not really much to explain, but I'll see who's there." He sighed, walking to where the woman was.

"Hey, Jeff," the woman said, staring at Jeff with no expression on her face.

"Oh...hey Connie..." Jeff greeted back. "Would you like anything to drink?"

"No, I'm here to see you. You haven't returned my texts or calls, so I wanted to make sure you weren't sick or dead."

I glanced at them, feeling even more confused.

"Well, I'm fine," Jeff said. "I've just been busy with work."

"Okay." She nodded. "Well, I'll just take a seat since it looks like you're busy."

"Okay." He nodded.

I went to Jeff, whispering, "Who the heck is that?"

"Oh, that's Connie Wu. I went on a date with her last month, and she keeps showing up here everyday since." He shrugged.

"You're just avoiding her calls?"

"Yes." He nodded.

"Why?"

"Because I keep telling her I don't want to date her, and am busy, but she just keeps showing up. She's weird." He shrugged again.

"Where did you meet her?" I laughed.

"Tinder."

"Of course you did."

"Hey, I tried different places." He shrugged. "Thought I'd at least give it a shot."