Chapter 8 - True Self

At a cozy modern themed café called CHAI, Mimi orders warm milk tea along with a few indulgent treats and an egg sandwich.

Alec, on the other hand, just ordered traditional plain black coffee.

"What a bore, how come you don't consider anything with more flavor!" Mimi says as she passes the menu to the waitress.

An itchy feeling rose in Alec at having a little girl complain about his preference for coffee.

How come her attitude right now was a bit different from before?

Not sure why she invited him out Alec stares out the window, his head resting on his broad palm.

"Big brother, why don't we talk about something? Sitting here just being silent is really boring." Mimi pouts.

Staring at the girl's pout, Alec tucks his arms in front of the table straightening his posture.

"So, what do you want to talk about?" He asks a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Well, why not tell me about your day?" Placing her elbows on the table, she places her small round face in her palms.

Furrowing his brows, the two continue to stare at one another. He thoroughly couldn't follow this girl's logic.

What was her purpose in hauling him out here?

But for some odd reason, he found her amusing unlike what he thought of her before.

"Just adult stuff," He leans back in his chair leisurely.

"Really? Like what?" A hidden spark shines in Mimi's eyes.

"Things you wouldn't completely understand. Nothing to worry about."

"Is that so?" Mimi's voice trails off with disappointment.

Wouldn't completely understand?

Hearing those words conveyed an unpleasant feeling in Mimi's heart.

Just because of her age many underestimated her knowledge, that and for the fact that she never really showed off her true talent.

Taking notice of the girl's mood turning glum, Alec felt troubled about how to change her mood.

Before he could communicate anything, the waitress comes over with a tray of warm milk tea and black coffee.

Reaching for a pink sugar packet in the corner of the table, Mimi rips it open and begins pouring it into her cup.

"Listen, Alec. Let's get down to business."

Discovering the girl's change of attitude, Alec felt startled.

Witnessing the petite girl in front of him show a hint of maturity in her eyes, any teenage boy would feel confused as to why a child shows such emotions.

Watching as she pours three sugar packets in her tea then stirring it calmly. She finally lifts her purple eyes towards his shaken face.

"I guess you're probably wondering why I brought you here and arrived personally at your company," Mimi lifts the cup to her mouth and begins to blow it softly.

"The truth is, I require your help with something that I know only you will be qualified to do."

Looking at the young girl before him with a complicated look, he opens his mouth to speak, but nothing seems to come out.

Sighing, Mimi looks at the helpless teenage boy in front of her.

"Jeez big brother, you sure are insensitive on responses! I'm amazed you were able to create your own company when you can't even talk to a little kid!"