Fuck Vampires.

I yawned, my eyes watering, and tapped lightly on the door to Jamie's apartment. I stared sleepily at the small gold plate that had his number on it. When no one came to the door. I fished my key chain out of my side bag and looked for the key to his apartment. With triumph I found the little one marked 27b and twisted it in the keyhole.

The door swung open silently and I was engulfed in that Jamie-ish smell that his apartment always had. Closing the door, I kicked off my shoes and traveled towards his room. Stopping momentarily and resting against the side of the leather couch. I jumped when I noticed there was a person lying there. Black hair, pale skin. Nikolai. His eyes were closed and his mouth was parted, but couldn't see his fangs. I furrowed my brow and then jumped to my senses.

What the fuck is a vampire doing asleep in Jamie's apartment, on Jamie's couch?

It was a startling discovery to say the least, I didn't think Jamie brought anyone home. Much less a strange vampire man. I stood and gawked at the man like an idiot, until I finally realized why I was here. Right. Check up on Jamie. I slipped away and continued towards his bedroom and pressed my hand to the thin wood.

"Stop," came a voice, deep and hoarse, "you can't wake him up." I blinked and turned around, Nikolai stood before me, clad in sweatpants and a wife beater. Dark circles rimmed his tired eyes.

"Uh. What the fuck are you doing here?" I dead panned and shielded Jamie's door.

"Sleeping over?" He joked, I frowned and crossed my arms. "Jamie had a rough night, don't wake him up." He sounded more serious. I sighed and stepped away from the door, walking to the tiny kitchen.

"I'm going to need some coffee."

-

"I met him a few nights ago at the bar, and he had a break down, I think I scared him." Nikolai explained, he looked hurt. "And I couldn't just leave him there, it was closing time anyways, so I took him to my car." I gave the vampire a suspicious glance and sipped my coffee. "No. Not like that. I just checked his wallet and drove him to the listed address. Here." He motioned around the apartment.

"Doesn't explain why you stuck around." I muttered looked down at the swirling dark liquid.

"I like Jamie. He's very," Nikolai searched for the word, while a million ran through my head, "gentle, and intelligent. I wasn't just going to leave him alone like that." Nikolai said and rubbed the back of his neck. I felt a surge of admiration for him in that moment, he stayed with Jamie! He comforted him!

Then I had a disturbing thought. What if Jamie was a potential mate? Did he feel the bond? A possible mate pull? Demons met hundreds of people in their lifetimes, and each one has a different pull. Whether it be platonic or romantic, but everyone said they could just tell who their mate was at a first glance. And I hoped to hell that Jamie's wasn't too strong.

"Does he know you're a vampire." I asked slowly and deliberately, I watched him carefully. He looked absolutely terrified for a moment.

"Yes." He whispered slowly, I was fuckin' shocked. "He's, uh, coping." I felt my face flush with rage.

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

What did he do?

"I swear to whatever God you worship," I hissed and got in his face. "If you have hurt him in any-" I shut my mouth instantly and waved innocently as Jamie appeared at the doorway.

He looked like he wanted to say something, but took a sour look on his face and spoke. "I'm not even going to ask." I grinned in response and leaned towards Nikolai.